View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 Sep 2024, 08:55

Reply to topic  [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
 The random events thread 
Crewman

I think they start off as an event and then, if you don't stop them, become a race by taking over a system and expanding outwards from it.

That's what is planned for the Borg anyway.

26 May 2005, 16:36
Profile WWW
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

That's how I understand 8472 to work as well.

Races that just appear/random events that invlove some baddy, creature, etc. haven't got a full description in the random events.

They are simply just listed, and grouped together at the start.

If you don't know what I mean, then OmniQ's list is here:

http://notepad.niagarafalls.com/random.txt

The first 13 random events in the list are these creatures/baddies etc.

If there are any new people out there reading this, we are (Supposed) to have weekly meetings on the random events every Sunday at 8pm (GMT)

I say supposed, because either no-one else turned up, or things just weren't discussed for the past two weeks-in-a-row. The meetings haven't actaully EVER gone according to plan, but i'm always there, even if others can't make it. :roll: :lol:

They are open to ANYONE that wants to be there, and it happens over MSN, so list your email addy/MSN sign-in info in the MSN meeting for random events thread if you want to be involved. :wink:

It isn't compulsory that you turn up if you say you'll be there (How could we possibly force you? :twisted:) but it is preferred, because of the way things have gone in the past. :roll:

Anyway, just list your details, like I said. :wink:

27 May 2005, 09:45
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Anyone remeber that episode with millions of Ent-D appearing and filling the system?
*I bet any romulan commander watching that got a heart attack*

How about an anomaly like that - you get several copies of one of your ships (for a few turns..then they dissaper again)

Q related events (he transports you ship somewhere else, transports an ship from antoher race in your territory, shrinks/enlarges your ship, turns it into a flying winie or something)

Temporal anomaly - a ship from the past or future comes trough OR you ships gets transported into the future

10 Jun 2005, 23:36
Profile ICQ

Well that sounds cool. (Not sure about the flying weenie, but loosing/gaining ships does :wink:)

I'd like it in, if it can be done in practice. Making ships randomly appear and disappear would be very confusing (And since they are temporal disturbances, they would have to be 'copies' of your ship(s).

Perhaps you could get bonuses from this as well, like a research bonus, (Eg. you get to scan the engines of the future ships etc.) This could be an extention of the existing temporal disturbance random event we've already got actually.

I'd ask Gavin on this one, but he isn't responding to PM's at the moment. (Probably busy with the game :D)

Let's see what the other guys think of it, for now.

11 Jun 2005, 13:31
Profile WWW
Crewman

I was thinking about suggesting a Section 31 type random event. We don't want to unbalance the game by giving the Federation access to great intelligence but including them as a random event could be fun. For example:

"Several buildings on Cardassia have been destroyed. The evidence points to a unaffiliated group of humans claiming to be acting in the interests of the Federation."

Any thoughts/modifications?

11 Jun 2005, 22:09
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

That flying winie was more of a joke, but I was thinking Q changing your ship into something else (ANY otehr ship or even some useless objects) for 2-3 turns.

11 Jun 2005, 22:46
Profile ICQ

What, so your ships somehow engage an infinite improbability drive from the Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, and suddenly they are sofa's? (or giant wienies) :lol:

Na, I kid you you there. perhaps ships could simply be frozen in space for X turns though. You can't give them orders, you can't make them change course. They simply stay there doing nothing.

Now THAT would be frustrating if you were on your way to annihilate someone/defend your Homesystem from annihilation! 8O

14 Jun 2005, 14:27
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just as an unrealted random sidenote, how do these ones sound for adding?
(Rewording would also be appreciated)

The USS ___ has reported a leak in it's fuel supply. It lost _ units of deuterium and may need to be resupplied. (Ship loses Deut)

The USS ___ has run across the wreakage of a ship. Nothing was salvagable except for _ deuterium left in it's fuel supply. (Ship gains Deut)

16 Jun 2005, 23:56
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Those two sound fine to me, OmniQ.

24 Jun 2005, 15:22
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I also added in another two new ones
66.1 Terrorist bombing of ship production - Terrorists set off a bomb in the -System Name- shipyard. Although the shipyard is fine, the ship in was producing was completely destroyed and will have to be restarted from scratch.
and
28.1 There has been a disaster at a research plant in the -System Name-. While testing a radioactive source, there was an explosion. X are dead and many have been poisoned with radiation, without enough hyronalin to go around. The -System Name- governor has ordered a state of emergency and requests a hospital ship be sent to help with the radiation
poisoning cases.

24 Jun 2005, 19:01
Supreme Architect
Supreme Architect

I've already got a long list of random events, and most of which have been independently mentioned in Omniq's list and it's a damn fine list with some great stuff in there. Fine work. A few more I have include:

Think Tank Ship
Once discovered, one time only 10 turns of 50% Research Empire-wide.

Voth City Ship
One ship in the encountering fleet gets captured. Returns 20–50 turns later with Research bonus (several thousand RPs)

Krenim ship
If it appears in a system, it, and the systems of several surrounding systems will shift to a different version, different planet types, populations and bonuses.

Temporal Anomaly
An Advanced Starship from the Future (usually Defiant, Sovereign, Galaxy Class etc) has appeared near Type 4a Temporal Anomaly in Sector 19F (or whatever). - the result being, the advanced ship will remain active and under your control, for anything you wish to do with it, for 8 to 12 turns, before disappearing back to the future)

Polar Shift
The poles on Planet _____ have changed polarity. Extreme weather recorded – dramatic climate change predicted. (Planet will change type in 10 turns – Volcanic to Barren, Barren to Desert, Desert to Terran or Jungle, Terran to Arctic)

24 Jun 2005, 21:18
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

dafedz wrote:
Krenim ship
If it appears in a system, it, and the systems of several surrounding systems will shift to a different version, different planet types, populations and bonuses.

Two questions: Aren't the Krenim a minor race? If so, this would be curious.

Second: If they are just a random, will it be able to fight the ship to prevent the system changings?

24 Jun 2005, 22:55
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Supreme Architect
Supreme Architect

Well in the discussions I've had with Jig, it was decided (as far as I recall) that the Krenim would not be a minor race, and they're not on my list. It seemed more interesting to include them as a random event. I'll have to bring this up again and get confirmation either way..

25 Jun 2005, 00:42
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

are there any race specific random events or ones that occur more for certain majors ?

25 Jun 2005, 19:52
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

dafedz wrote:
Temporal Anomaly
An Advanced Starship from the Future (usually Defiant, Sovereign, Galaxy Class etc) has appeared near Type 4a Temporal Anomaly in Sector 19F (or whatever). - the result being, the advanced ship will remain active and under your control, for anything you wish to do with it, for 8 to 12 turns, before disappearing back to the future)
I dont think this would make it in. I remember someone suggesting an idea similar to this in the past, and if I remember correctly, it was shot down. Either way, although it would be hard to tell from some of the movies and episodes, Starfleet has a temporal non-interference rule for any ship caught in the past. Dont need them mucking up the future now. :wink:

As far as the Kremin go, I thougt they were going to be a minor race (although I cant say I've had any talks with Jig about ti). They are on the minor race list thread, at least.

The other ideas sounds like great additions to the list to me. Any other ideas?

26 Jun 2005, 06:26

Well we'll just have to wait and see what comes out of the various talks when it comes to the ctual races that make it in.

I personally agree that it would bbe more fun though to have them in as a random event! :D

If they were a random event, you simply get a message box and/or a the change in the planets - your ships wouldn't engage the Timeship coz it wouldn't be there! (Unless it was specifically programmed in) :wink:

Quote:
Originally posted by horadrim:
are there any race specific random events or ones that occur more for certain majors ?

In OmniQ's list, many of the random events are written from the point of view of the Federation. I don't think is intentional, but I do think it is something that we could discuss in the meeting tonight. :wink: (If people actually turn up...) :lol:

Dafedz, for the Polar shift random event, whilst this might seem a bit nitpicky, I think the 10 turns 'warning' should either be lowered to 6 turns, or increased to 12.

Each turn will be roughly a month, to such changes would be seen in terms of a year, decade etc. making it like this would seem more realistic to me somehow.

I also think that the 'extreme weather' could also perhaps damage/destroy some buildings... 8O

*Edit - I can't make the discussion tonight - sister has exams tomorrow! :roll: :evil:*

26 Jun 2005, 18:02
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

i dont see trouble with tribbles on the list!!!

Tribble infestation in the __________ system has led to drastically falling food supplies. The local authorities are trying to deal with the situation but it may take some time (x ammount of turns) and famine might be a problem. The creatures eat food and bread at an alarming rate, tahts the trouble with tribles!

26 Jun 2005, 18:52
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

it's already there, #32

26 Jun 2005, 19:27

I made sure it was in! :twisted: :lol:

I actually wrote the (Current) texts for that particular random. :wink:

My tribble Super Weapon still hasn't been given any thought though... :cry: :lol:

When are you going to add in your new random events, OmniQ? I can't see them in the list, and it still shows 79 randoms...

27 Jun 2005, 17:42
Profile WWW
Ensign
Ensign

Matress you have my full support for a tribble supre weapon :-). Missile guided tribbles!

27 Jun 2005, 18:09
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Any new randoms usually go under decimal numbers under related randoms in the related category (i.e. #.1) instead of redoing the number system for each every time.

Some of the new ones are located at 22.1, 31.1, 51.3, 62.1, just to name a few.

28 Jun 2005, 00:42

That would explain why I haven't noticed them then...I look for any number additions, not for decimals! :oops:

Hmmm...Missile-Guided Tribbles... :twisted: :lol:

28 Jun 2005, 11:28
Profile WWW
Supreme Architect
Supreme Architect

Quote:
I dont think this would make it in. I remember someone suggesting an idea similar to this in the past, and if I remember correctly, it was shot down. Either way, although it would be hard to tell from some of the movies and episodes, Starfleet has a temporal non-interference rule for any ship caught in the past. Dont need them mucking up the future now.

True, but this is just a game isn't it. Starfleet also have the Prime Directive, but that wouldn't stop us from initiating first contact with the pre-warp Mintakans in game, or from eliminating any one of the minor races if we felt like it.

Imagine it's turn 115, and you're at war with the Cards. You're outmatched and you're outgunned. Your best ship is a Constellation, along with a few scattered destroyers. Then suddenly a Defiant shows up in Fed space for 10 turns. Just think of the carnage (and hence fun) you could have with that! Temporal Prime Directive, bollocks to it I say... :twisted:

28 Jun 2005, 11:40
Profile WWW

:lol:

And just imagine if it was one of my Warbirds... :twisted:

I've sent OmniQ a pretty substantial list of my ideas for the random events. They are mostly just wording of what appears onscreen when a random event happens. (The random events dialogue) Hopefully some of them will be used... 8)

I've also asked him a few questions about altering some of the randoms so they work better/clarifications of what could happen.

OmniQ, if you're reading this, again, sorry it was so long! :oops: :lol:

28 Jun 2005, 12:39
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Well...any thought about the ship duplicating phenomena?

teh TNG episode was cool..

It would be cool to gain loads of duplicates of a ship for 2-3 turns.

29 Jun 2005, 00:22
Profile ICQ
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I already had that duplicating idea, it was decided against.

29 Jun 2005, 03:45

Me and OmniQ have discussed some ideas for the random events, and have decided that it would be cool to have the actual random-event 'warning' messages be written from the point of view of each of the different races.

This is only an idea however - it has not been cleared by Gavin, Iwulff, or Jigaly, so we may still only have the current generic list that we have so far.

Over the next few days/weeks i'm gonna post my ideas here (Or PM my to OmniQ first) and we'll go from there.

If anyone fancies a go at rewriting them for any particular race(s), you're welcome to have a go. Only the best ones will be chosen for the final lists, so make them good! :wink:

The lists are still not final though, and are subject to constant change, as discussed in the meetings, in the various threads, or by email and PM's, so just base your ideas on whatever version is currently up in this link (OmniQ constantly updates it as neccesary):

Remember, these lists are to make the game more fun and realistic, so the more you do them in the spirit of your chosen race, the more likely they will be picked.

You don't even have to do an entire list - just do one or two of the randoms if you want, it doesn't matter.

Good luck! :D

*Edit - if it helps, i've found a website with a Klingon and Romulan dictionary:

http://soultrek.net/faq/klindictionary.htm

Have fun! :wink:*

01 Jul 2005, 13:18
Profile WWW

All right then, this is a list of the random events that i've done so far. This particular list isn't finished; it's just a taster of the work i'm gonna do.

If you have any ideas for improving them, post now, or even better yet, make your own! :D

Here goes then:

Klingons - Any writing in brackets in a translation, and is not intanded to be shown in the game

14. Caretaker Array - The IKV _____ has failed to return after completing its mission in sector _____. One of our deep-space sensor arrays detected a massive shockwave in the region, and is thought to have something to do with the dissappearance. May her crew feast in the great halls of Sto'Vo'Kor!

15. Subspace Bubble - Contact has been lost with the IKV _____. The ship was on a scouting mission for the Empire, and her reports will be missed. It is unknown what has become of her. May her warriors find glorius battle wherever they may be!

15.1 Subspace Anomaly - An anomaly on the edge of the Galaxy has rendered Warp drive useless throughout the Empire. mu'qaD! (Curses) Our warriors are stranded and unable to fight for the Empire!

15.2 Graviton Ellipse - An unusual anomaly is passing through system _____. All captains' in the vicinity of the anomaly have shut down their Warp cores, else their crews will have a premature entry into Sto'Vo'Kor!

- N/A

- N/A

16. Artificial Intelligence - Our Imperial Navy will need to hunt down one of our own ships! The vessel has gained an artificial intelligence, and it has begun to attack our fleets and colonies. It is a Klingon ship at heart! In different circumstances, it would be a welcome addition to the fleet. However, we cannot take any chances; the ship must be destroyed! If any of the crew still live, at least they will die in glorius battle!

17. Ion Storm Before - Our deep-space outposts have reported a vay-vach (Level five) Ion Storm heading in the direction of system _____. Not even the stoutest Klingon warrior can battle an Ion storm, so perhaps it would be best to move our warriors somewhere more suitable...like within range of an enemy installation perhaps?
Ion Storm After - The Ion Storm has passed. Ha! There has been some damage, but it takes more than a storm to conquer a Klingon!

18. Temporal Disturbance - Our colony in system ____ has been engulfed in a Temporal Disturbance. It seems the warriors training there have had more/less time to practice their Bat'leth skills!

19. Hekaras Corridor Incident - Qugh! (Disaster) It seems we will need to find a new method of faster-than-light travel! The fabric of Subspace collapsed in sector _____ while a transport was travelling through. This will be a challenge worthy of our researchers!

20. Unstable Wormhole - The Wormhole in sector _____ has shifted. If any Klingon warrior is trapped on the other side, may they meet Sto'Vo'Kor quickly!

21. Suddenly Appearing Blackhole - Space is treacherous to any ship that travels without good sensors, but sensors are not the primary system of a Klingon ship. It may be wise to advise our warriors of a new Black Hole in sector _____.
Suddenly Appearing Wormhole - Space is vast. Our enemies may be far away, but a chance has been given to our warriors. A new Wormhole has been encountered in sector _____. May it allow us to strike at our enemies!

22. Nebula Formation - Space is full of opportunities for Klingon warriors. A Nebula is forming in sector _____. No doubt our enemies will want to investigate it - no doubt it would make the perfect place for ambush!

22.1. Solar Wind Change - Occaisionally, Stars give the gift of life instead of taking it. It seems the star in system _____ in particular has given such a gift. Our warriors are looking foward to testing their refound youth on unsuspecting enemies of the Empire! Unleash the dogs of war!

23. Nebula Collapse - Opportunities for the Empire are rare, but when they do occur, Klingons take with both hands! A Nebula is sector _____ is collapsing into a new Star system, and would give our warriors more breathing room if we could colonise it before our enemies have the chance.

24. Nexus - Space is full of unusual occurrances and anomalies. It seems one such anomaly recently passed through system _____. A group of people were left behind in it's wake, but the behaviour of these people was extreme, and they caused disruption. As per Klingon law, they were to be executed, when yej'an (Researcher) Cronos requested they be turned over to him for research. It seems the dogs may be of use afterall...

25. Supernova - nargh! (Evacuate!) The Star in system _____ is a late-stage Red Giant, and our sensors have detected that an explosion is immenent! There is onlt a matter of months left. Evacuate those that can serve the Empire, leave the rest. There is no honour in a Klingon who cannot fight.

26. Comet Strike - lot! (Catastrophe) A Comet has impacted with one of the planets in system _____. The devastation is total, and millions of honourable warriors died without battle. It is a sad day for the Empire.

27. Asteroid Impact - lot! (Catastrophe!) An Asteroid has impacted on one of the planets in system _____. There was widespread devastation, and many Klingon wounded. They are not all dead however, and most can still fight. However, hunger will be the next battle they face, as there are few supplies left undamaged on the planet. This is not the way a warrior should die.

28. Earthquake - By the hand of Kahless! An Earthquake has struck a planet in system _____. There is much structural damage, but our warriors have survived. It takes more than shaking ground to kill a Klingon!

28.1 - Meltdown - tlhuD nIj! (Radiation leak!) A research project to solve our energy needs has come to a devastating end. The core of a new power plant went into meltdown during final testing. The resulting explosion has irradiated half of the planet, with projections indicating all life with be poisoned within a matter of months. The dead will line streets! It is a dark day for the Empire.

29. Volcano - The Klingon heart rages with fire, and so it seems, does a planet in system _____. A Volcanic Eruption has turned the sky black, and communication has become impossible. There can be no doubt - millions of honourable warriors will die needlessly. May they find battle in Sto'Vo'Kor!

30. Weather System Breakdown - Unlike a true Klingon, no technology is infallible. It seems our weather control systems in system _____ have gone off-line, and freak weather reports are coming in from across the planet. Whilst our structures may have failed, Klingons warriors still live on! It takes more than a little weather to stop a Klingon!

31. Climate Change - A Planet is like a Klingon, never settled until the end. A Planet in system _____ is undergoing a climate change. It will be some time before our warriors will be able to practice with their Bat'leths outside of their homes.

31.1 Polar Change - Planets are wont to change, and it seems one in system _____ is on the verge of such a change. The Magnetic Poles are shifting, and such a change only occurs before a dramatic climate change. Our warriors are preparing for battle with the elements, until the Planet settles down.

32. Tribbles - yIHmey SurghwI' chon! (Tribble skinning hunt!) Tribbles have eaten the entire food supply in system _____. It doesn't matter though; our warriors are on the hunt! Death to the entire Tribble race!

32.1 Neural Parasites - Our colony in system _____ has been wiped out by Neural Parasites. They were an enemy that not even weapons could destroy!

What do you think then?

01 Jul 2005, 21:33
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

Just a few ideas that i dont think where listed anywhere in this thread.

Birth of Junior (Encountor with a space creature that gives birth, research bonus)

Planet Killer (from the Original Series with kirk)

Minor races should eventully move out from their home system and colonize other systems.

Space Probe like in Star Trek The Motion Picture and Star Trek The Voyage Home.

Asteroid Fields/ Belts that a freighter or Recorce Gathering ship can get recorces from.

Freighters that can transport supplies from one system to another.

Fuel Supply Ships that can follow a fleet around extending their efective range.

Science Ships that can do research in nebulas and such for research bonus's.

Actual battles in nebulas (Like Star Trek 2, The Wrath Of Khan.

Perhaps if a red star goes nova it leaves a huge Asteroid Field behind for recorce gathering (Add on to the idea above).

Sensor Arrays (like the Argolas Aray). These could be build in remote places or on borders to extend scanner range.

Have a disaster happen to a ship disableing it and stranding it untill the onboard damage control teams can repair it (efectivly making it lost to its empire for a short time) (Similar to the next gem episode disaster)

A rogue borg group (Like what data's brother lore did with the borg he found).

Bonus's to research after you get above level 10 (In BOTF1 there was no point to getting your research above level 10) (Why not make some sort of bonus to getting higher levels?)

Add in the Tholians! (at least as a minor race)

Mobal Repair Facilities, A Mobal Ship Yard that can follow fleets and help them repair faster.

Add in the Gorn! (again at least as a minor race)

The Guardian of Forever.

Moons! They could have positive effects (more pop and places to build), and negative effects (Think Praxis).

The Ability to "Target" another ship with your ship(s). That way no matter where they go you will continue to follow them. That way if they move at least you keep getting nearer to them.

A way to target ships to try and capture them instead of just killing them.
Great way to try to gain a certain rare type of ship.

Being able to lay mine fields. Maybe to block a worm hole, or simply to form a border of sorts.

Neutral Zones. The ability to set one up with another race through diplomacy.

Being able to set up an archilogical dig on a planet. (I played a game before that this idea had its uses. Items you could find where anything from simply a bit of research up to an item able to destroy a planet.)

On that thought, the ability to bombard a planet long after there is no life on it?.....maybe to the point you can destroy it and be left with an asteroid field? Usefull idea if its a planet system that is uselessly small and on the border of a rival empire. Remove the planet system and make a border between the two of you.

Just a few ideas, if i come up with more ill post them when i get a chance.
Sorry if i mentioned ideas already posted, its hard to remember them all.

Tielee

03 Jul 2005, 04:09

I've got some info for you on your ideas. :wink:

1) I think the Planet killer is gonna be in, it just has a different name. (Can't remember what name that is at the moment though. :oops:)

2) Some of the minor races will be able to spread out and colonise other systems - I call them as "Mini-Empires" - check the "Announcement: RACES AND RACE STRUCTURE LIST" thread here in the game request forum for info on what races will be able to do this. :wink:

3) Asteroid Belts ARE in - if you check out my "System-Wide Dome Construction Project" thread, you'll see that we've created a building to harvest them as resources. (So the building does it instead of actual Freighters) :wink: You can also check the "Announcement: RACES AND RACE STRUCTURE LIST" for more info.

4) Fuel supply is in, we were discussing supplies and the stats of the ships a few weeks ago, but there thread seems to have 'disssappeared!' 8O

5) Science ships will be able to scan many things in the game. Neutrons Stars, X-ray Pulsars, Quasars, Blackholes, Wormholes (Which can ONLY be found by scanning a sector with a Science/Scout vessel) Nebulas, and possibly even ordinary Stars will all provide scinece bonuses.

These bonuses may even depend on the race that does the scanning (Like the Klingons would get hardly anything from research, the Romulans would get large bonuses from Blackholes and Quasars, whilst the Federation would get the biggest bonuses from 'ordinary' things, like Nebulas and Stars)

5) Both the Gorn and the Tholians are in the game as minor races. They are both Beta Quadrant races, and are both capable of expansion. Check the "Announcement: RACES AND RACE STRUCTURE LIST" thread for info.

6) Moons are in! :D Again, check out the "Announcement: RACES AND RACE STRUCTURE LIST" for info.

7) Interception and following ships is gonna be improved, but to what extent I don't know. Training, scanner strength, and tech level will all play a part in how successful such tactics are.

8) Neutral zones are a possibility, but haven't had much discussion. You could set up a thread on the matter, or contact Gavin for info.

9) Archaeological dig will be a <good> random event in the game. They will result in some sort of boost to research, but won't give you uber-weapons or the like. :wink: Check here for more info (The dig is number 33 in the list):

Hope this info helps. Any of your ideas I have mentioned are liekly not in, or haven't been discussed. Data WILL be in as a positive random event though - you'll get a Computer research bonus if you discover him. :wink:

06 Jul 2005, 12:33
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 455 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next