View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 28 Sep 2024, 21:20

Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 The ships, battles and weapons thread 
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Sounds good... Earlier I was thinking about how in the shows when one Federation ship gets severely damaged, another ship that is in much better shape will get inbetween the enemy and the damaged ship to buy that ship enough time to escape. Could there be a 'defend' command added to the battle controls?

17 Jul 2005, 05:21
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Matress_of_evil wrote:

Perhaps as a compromise, at the start of a battle that you suspect will be very long and drawn out, you could have a button to request reinforcements.

Any ships within...say 10 sectors would stop what they were doing (You'd have to be careful, as this could expose key systems to later attack, or allow other enemies into your space)

The ships would of course use up fuel to get thee, but would more as though you were using actual turns in-game, so after the 20-turn battle, a speed-4 ship would have moved 4 sectors closer. (Sat it was 10 sectors away)

After another 20 battle-turns, the ship is now 4 sectors closer, then after another 20 battle-turns, (Battle-turn 60) the ship(s) would have arrived. Of course, if the ship(s) had only been one sector away, it would only have taken 20 battle-turns to arrive.

Maybe it would be possible to _select_ the ships you wanna have as reinforcements. So when you press that "reinforce"-button, some kind of range-map shows up and you just click to have the ships you want go by emergency-speed to the battlefield.

FoxURA wrote:
Sounds good... Earlier I was thinking about how in the shows when one Federation ship gets severely damaged, another ship that is in much better shape will get inbetween the enemy and the damaged ship to buy that ship enough time to escape. Could there be a 'defend' command added to the battle controls?

Yeah, I definitely like it! Maybe gavin will post all the tactics once he comes to that points so we can see (and discuss ^^) what will be possible and what wont be.[/quote]

17 Jul 2005, 13:26
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Having the minimap 'appear' during the battle sounds like it could be quite a bit to program.

My last idea wasn't really intended seriously, I just threw it out for the realms of possibility. It would be nice if it was in, but I really don't know if it could be programmable.

Like you said, we'll just have to wait and see what Gavin says is possible with tactics. :wink:

18 Jul 2005, 12:22
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Yeah, it sounds a bit hard. Tactical combat time getting synchronised with the galactic screen timer...

Then again what's hard for the God of Programing and all Things Virtual :lol:

18 Jul 2005, 13:57
Crewman

I was wondering if larger ships had more weapon systems, and I'v read u can upgrade these systems. But would there be an option 2 max out a ship, like basic ships only have half the weapons, u can then kit them up as u see fit, like more advanced sensors or shields or more photon launchers.
Can you also tell ships 2 send power 2 shields or weapons?
im not sure how much your puttin in2 the game but so far it looks gr8, I just hope its goin 2 change the face of gaming foreva :P which it sounds like it will, just dont want it 2 be like armada 2 a bit sloppy.

22 Jul 2005, 22:33

I'm pretty sure this is a redundant idea now.

Chances are, upgrading ships' system won't be in.

And as for setting power to individual systems, whilst it would be nice, this is BOTF2, not Starfleet Command! :wink: :lol:

Anyways, welcome to the site, WAR2872. Hope we see many posts from you in the future. :wink:

Post! Post! Post! :D

22 Jul 2005, 22:58
Profile WWW
Crewman

We dont have Upgrades for the ships. But could it be possible that the ships could get a bonus with the progress of research. I thought about 5% for every specific techlevel. For example the shields: basic=200, then you are at the next techlevel, so the shields are now by 210. I think it could also work for weapons and hull. It could be a reason don't scrap old ships because they weren't up to date but still usefull. And the research wouldn't become useless after techlevel 12. What do you think?

24 Jul 2005, 00:37
Profile ICQ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Thunderchild wrote:
We dont have Upgrades for the ships. But could it be possible that the ships could get a bonus with the progress of research. I thought about 5% for every specific techlevel. For example the shields: basic=200, then you are at the next techlevel, so the shields are now by 210. I think it could also work for weapons and hull. It could be a reason don't scrap old ships because they weren't up to date but still usefull. And the research wouldn't become useless after techlevel 12. What do you think?

Personally I like it, but I really doubt this could be done.

24 Jul 2005, 02:54
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Crewman

what we would need is to include a counter to the techlevels und a formula for shields, weapons etc. The game could calculate it before a battle begins.

for example:
b=basic strength f.e. b=200
s=totally strength in the battle
t=techlevel the ship was able to build t=4
T=actually techlevel T=8
p= percent we agree the bonus is p=5

s=b+p/100*(T-t)*b

s=200+5/100*(8-4)*200

s=240

So our ship would have now a strength of 240. I don't know how complicate it is to include it, but i think it would be nice.

24 Jul 2005, 09:56
Profile ICQ
Cadet
Cadet

Yeah, should be a fairly simple matter to do that... :)

24 Jul 2005, 11:57
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

It's a good idea if it can be implemented.
But we need to get ship stats to make sure older classes don't out-power newer ones.

24 Jul 2005, 12:02
Ensign
Ensign

How are we coping with scale in the battle? in the old game when attacking a starbase due to realistic scale and a really crap zoom function it was hard to actually select some of the hsips sometimes.

24 Jul 2005, 13:35
Crewman

CVN-65 wrote:
It's a good idea if it can be implemented.
But we need to get ship stats to make sure older classes don't out-power newer ones.

I think with 5 % is a good choice. Even if the tech is 10 levels higher the ship would only have a bonus of 50%. I don't see any danger that the new ships would have any disadvantage.

24 Jul 2005, 17:19
Profile ICQ
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Good point, guess I didn't think much before I posted :oops:
5% looks just fine :D

24 Jul 2005, 17:35
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Thunderchild wrote:
good choice. Even if the tech is 10 levels higher the ship would only have a bonus of 50%.

Actually 5% per tech means 62% for ten techlevels ahead: 1.05 ^ 10 :)

24 Jul 2005, 18:19
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Well, just to nitpick, 63%? :lol:

Right, didn't think (once again :roll:), the power would be added up to the base after every tech... Or if it w(sh)ould be, at all?

24 Jul 2005, 19:56
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

CVN-65 wrote:
Well, just to nitpick, 63%? :lol:

Right, didn't think (once again :roll:), the power would be added up to the base after every tech... Or if it w(sh)ould be, at all?

That's the question. Will the bonus "appear" each techlevel, or simply add on?

1) The exponential way: 1.05 ^ 10 = 62,88 % (Just to be pedantic :))

2) The multiplier-way: 50% as 5% * 10 = 50%.

24 Jul 2005, 20:30
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

lol, I'm tempted to say 62,889463%, but I won't :lol:

Well, an average 1.3% either way won't kill anyone.

Guess the one that easiest to do... :?

I assume you'll know that, ftranschel. From the flagship thread I got the idea you know a few things about programing and stuff :wink:

24 Jul 2005, 20:52
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

CVN-65 wrote:
lol, I'm tempted to say 62,889463%, but I won't :lol:

Well, an average 1.3% either way won't kill anyone.

Guess the one that easiest to do... :?

I assume you'll know that, ftranschel. From the flagship thread I got the idea you know a few things about programing and stuff :wink:

Yes. I'm sorry for my rant there. I accept if the lead programmers / modelers say "we don't like to have this work, so we wont do this", instead of picking flat excuses. That's okay, and that's what I wanted to say. 8)

24 Jul 2005, 21:02
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Crewman

if you look at my example you could see that i meant + 5% for each tech from the basicworth :wink:

25 Jul 2005, 01:14
Profile ICQ
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Thunderchild wrote:
if you look at my example you could see that i meant + 5% for each tech from the basicworth :wink:

Yes. And if you read my posting carefully you'll see that I was just proposing the different calculation scheme, if anybody liked it 8)

25 Jul 2005, 01:42
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Supreme Architect
Supreme Architect

I've already calculated ship strengths for every ship type in the game, and compiled a master ship strength table. I quite like the idea though for increased strengths over the tech level. This would add a new dimension to various empire strengths. I'll have to give it a try and see what the numbers are.

25 Jul 2005, 12:06
Profile WWW
Crewman

dafedz wrote:
I've already calculated ship strengths for every ship type in the game, and compiled a master ship strength table. I quite like the idea though for increased strengths over the tech level. This would add a new dimension to various empire strengths. I'll have to give it a try and see what the numbers are.

And what are the numbers? :D

29 Jul 2005, 21:47
Profile ICQ

I doubt older ships would ever beat new ships with such a system, even after 10 tech levels - newer ships are 'naturally' more powerful anyway, and they themselves would get bonuses over time.

Has anyone actually suggested this to Gavin yet though? If he isn't told about it, he won't be able to add it in! 8O

08 Aug 2005, 19:03
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Well, dafedz posted above that Gavin had him calculate ship strenghts.

So, dafedz, did you bring this idea to Gavin's attention? :D

09 Aug 2005, 17:55
Cadet
Cadet

My main problem with battle in the original (unmodded) was that the battles seemed to finish too quickly. This is due mostly to the fact that at Turn 1, all sides fired their torpedoes (overpowered?) destroying the majority of the ships in the battle on both sides. Successive turns were effectively for "mopping up". There seemed to be a lack of real strategy in the whole affair. Since I cannot be bothered to read the last 18 pages of posting, is this problem going to be resolved???

12 Aug 2005, 18:56
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Yes. From all I know a Warbird-vs-Galaxy skirmish will last at least three turns. Remember, each of them could destroy three of it's own class in one turn, which was surely overpowered.

12 Aug 2005, 19:04
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Cadet
Cadet

Glad to hear that... the old battles were really extremely poorly implemented.

12 Aug 2005, 22:32
Profile WWW
Crewman

I don't know if this has been discussed, but what about attacking ships via boarding parties?(after the shields are down) it would definitely add a twist to tactical combat and maybe people would like to keep captured ships, scrap them for credits, use them to improve intelligence from that specific race...etc.

03 Sep 2005, 15:13
Profile YIM
Jig of the Puff
Jig of the Puff

this was discussed but it`s to much trouble to do.

19 Sep 2005, 12:17
Reply to topic   [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next