View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 Sep 2024, 08:55

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Willingness to Help 
Crewman

Figured I would offer up my two cents.
I have a mild amount of experience at C++ code along with some VB6, VB.Net, and HTML. I have a moderate amount of experience at Game System Mechanics (particularly tabletop rpg's). Also have a light experience at mud programming. I have almost no artistic capability beyond knowing what I like.

Would be willing to come up with a working system for planet/system invasions, basic combat model (ship fights), or even help on the tech tree if so asked.

As for feelings on the original... I was always disgruntled by the limitations of the tech in BOTF, and the inability to modify ships or to even steal tech like cloaking devices from the Romulans. It would have been a step up in the game if ships could be captured once the shields were knocked out. Feel that games like "Reach for the Stars" are a viable source of ideas for possible improvements.

Off the top of my head, if I had my way I would give each minor race their own tech tree and give them the option of becoming a major power. Each tech tree would have a certain amount of redundancies and each tree would have something completely unique to that race. When a system is captured all the tech that wasn't destroyed could be studied and learned from at a very fast rate (Borg would be a viable major power. They would be limited by the tech that is available and the defenses of their enemies.)

21 Jun 2006, 10:44
Profile WWW
Jig of the Puff
Jig of the Puff

contact mstrobel via pm to see what you can do to help him. as his game is further along than mine it is better for that one to be concentrated on.

21 Jun 2006, 11:21
Crewman

There are multiple games being made... How often are the seperate projects brought together and compared and how compatable are they?

21 Jun 2006, 14:37
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

They're not compatible, and their progress isn't regularly compared as far as I know. I'll probably be needing some assistance soon with a lot of XML (tech trees, race database, etc), but I don't really need any additional programmers at the moment.

21 Jun 2006, 15:29
Profile WWW
Crewman

Ahh. When you need help you know how to get in touch.

21 Jun 2006, 18:06
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]