View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 22 Sep 2024, 08:38

Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Supremacy progress 
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Applaus for MStrobel, game looks nice and smooth, UI is logical and easy!

I really enjoyed playing Supremacy!

I wonder when demo would be updated, or what plans are in this part of development?

News about Supremacy are scarc!

23 Jan 2007, 10:42
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Thanks for the applause, Zeleni :). I admit that news about Supremacy has been a bit scarce lately. I've made a couple updates to the demo in the past month or two, but these have mostly been small feature additions and a lot of bugfixes.

I'm reaching the point where I'm running out of "little" things to work on, and I'm going to have to start on one of the bigger additions that I've been putting off out of fear ;). The next big addition will be a diplomacy system and the inclusion of minor races. However, before I start coding that, I'll need to finalize the design. That means taking at least one whole weekend with a notepad and a lot of caffine to do some brainstorming. It'll probably be a couple months before any of this makes its way into a new demo, as it will take a while to develop.

23 Jan 2007, 17:20
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

you know if you need help on brainstorming, we're next door to call to ;).

23 Jan 2007, 17:23
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

mstrobel wrote:
. However, before I start coding that, I'll need to finalize the design.

I hope you will inform us with final design cos lads need something to talk about!

Cheers

23 Jan 2007, 17:49
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Just dropping in with my vote of support. :)

This German project looks good, too, but to my American eyes, I liked the look of Supremacy much more. A matter purely of preference (the BOTF revival needs all the projects it can probably get), but it's definitely the game I'm probably most looking forward to on the near horizon.

Good luck!

24 Jan 2007, 01:38
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Thanks, Ringold :). I've been neglecting the project a bit during the past couple weeks, but I have a nice long weekend to do some serious brainstorming. Hopefully then I can get back on track :).

24 Jan 2007, 01:40
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Yeah, I can understand it might be a bit demotivating when you see another game of the same type being so much further in development. Just want to say I second CaptRingold completely in that I realy like to see Supremacy come to a good end.

So, keep up the good work, Mike! And know your work is highly appreciated throughout these forums.

25 Jan 2007, 10:19
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

I hope that UI for Romulans, Cards and others will be same as Feds...
VACATION FOR EYES! Keep up good work MStrobel! 8)

25 Jan 2007, 12:56
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Zeleni wrote:
I hope that UI for Romulans, Cards and others will be same as Feds...
VACATION FOR EYES! Keep up good work MStrobel! 8)

I hope not :D

One of the best things about the original was the differances in UI styles, sounds etc.

25 Jan 2007, 16:02
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

it's actually already in the demo (when playing multiplayer), LCARS for all so far, but it's of course just because of demo status.

at least with his game you can already play with 6 human players, we wait till the designs are all complete before we unlock this feature.

as for the designs, I'm sure there's something up for trading when the time comes ;)

btw, for all of you just joining us, we (the bote-team) had a certain headstart over his project before you guys even knew about us so there lies the secret within..

25 Jan 2007, 17:12
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Cdrwolfe wrote:

I hope not :D

One of the best things about the original was the differances in UI styles, sounds etc.

You get it wrong Cdrwolf, I was refering on quality of fonts, colors and behaviour of UI overall! Differances in UI styles weren t question at any time!

25 Jan 2007, 18:36
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Zeleni wrote:
I was refering on quality of fonts, colors and behaviour of UI overall! Differances in UI styles weren t question at any time!
Glad you like the UI :). So far I've been quite pleased with how it's come out. Hopefully, you'll see the Cardassian UI start to appear soon :).

25 Jan 2007, 21:13
Profile WWW
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

How are people with the UI's, are pictures or examples needed? from the show?
I've got one set of DVDs i could troll through (DS9)

25 Jan 2007, 23:36
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

We don't need any reference material, wolfe, but thanks for the offer.

I'm curious as to how much demand there is for an in-game database. If I were to replace the Tech Database screen with a more comprehensive "Encyclopedia", would it make a difference to most people? An encyclopedia would include tech objects plus all of the races in the game, possibly all of the star systems in the game, and maybe some other stuff. Since it would be much larger, it would also have a search function to filter out the entries. Is this something people would like to see, or should I just focus my efforts in other areas?

26 Jan 2007, 07:23
Profile WWW
Commander
Commander

mstrobel wrote:

I'm curious as to how much demand there is for an in-game database. If I were to replace the Tech Database screen with a more comprehensive "Encyclopedia", would it make a difference to most people? An encyclopedia would include tech objects plus all of the races in the game, possibly all of the star systems in the game, and maybe some other stuff. Since it would be much larger, it would also have a search function to filter out the entries. Is this something people would like to see, or should I just focus my efforts in other areas?

I would like to see it as well as the tech tree. I know that seems like a lot but think about it. Would any major travel without both?

Excellent Idea though. Even if one was impelmented now and the other later it would make for a truly interesting game!

:D

26 Jan 2007, 10:03
Profile YIM
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

That s great idea MStrobel! Same thing did Sid Meier s in his remake of Pirates Gold. He included encyclopedia with all related stuff to Caribbean sea from 1560- 1680! ( notorius pirates, ship types-statistics, towns etc). That was really helpful feature, so you can do the same! Ship stats for majors and minors, spec builiding inf and other stuff... only this all stars sys names is tooo much, no use but to jam encyclopedia :D

26 Jan 2007, 10:35
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

I like the idea, though if you ask me, I'd say it's rather a low-priority feature. While nice, I'd focus on the more important parts of the game for now.

26 Jan 2007, 11:16
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

mstrobel wrote:

Reminds me of MOO3 which had an extensive list of info, mostly done by the community.
Everyone likes some fluff, though non essential it's always good to look at on occasion.

26 Jan 2007, 12:10
Crewman

Centurion_VarDin wrote:
I like the idea, though if you ask me, I'd say it's rather a low-priority feature. While nice, I'd focus on the more important parts of the game for now.

I have to agree with this opinion. Of course it would be a nice future, but it is not really necassary.

BTW: There are right now 4 projects around, but I have not seen yet how the biggest problem of BOTF (except the annoying bugs) was solved, which was the AI (at least in my opinion). Allegiance does not need one and Jigs project is different now (I don't really know what it is about, more like BC I think).
I know this will be one of the later parts because everything else can be tested in MP, but it is the thing I am most looking forward to.

Nevertheless Supremacy (and the other projects [even BotE, kleiner Seitenhieb aus dem Süden]) looks amazing and I cannot wait to kick some (AI-)butts.

26 Jan 2007, 12:27
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

aus dem Süden? da komm ich auch her ;) naja fast

well the AI is really a critical and crucial part of a game but thx to mstrobels 2 very valuable hints we kinda managed to put something together. Still the AI does not build outposts correctly but that bastion surely falls sometime later on ;)

26 Jan 2007, 12:56
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Malvoisin wrote:
aus dem Süden? da komm ich auch her ;) naja fast

well the AI is really a critical and crucial part of a game but thx to mstrobels 2 very valuable hints we kinda managed to put something together. Still the AI does not build outposts correctly but that bastion surely falls sometime later on ;)
Well, you have more of an AI than I have at the moment ;). Mine is still highly theoretical.

26 Jan 2007, 20:10
Profile WWW
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

An encyclopedia and a tech "tree" somewhat hints at a radical change in the way technology was handled in BotF. It definitely sounds very Civ IV-like.

Instead of having 6 technology "fields" to research in, are you thinking about switching to an actualy technology tree that branches out into different things?

For example, starting off with Ent-level missile-like weapons, and then specifically researching photon torpedos instead of just "weapons level 2"?

26 Jan 2007, 21:26
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

AI is where the fun begins :D

26 Jan 2007, 23:02
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Azhdeen wrote:
An encyclopedia and a tech "tree" somewhat hints at a radical change in the way technology was handled in BotF. It definitely sounds very Civ IV-like.

Instead of having 6 technology "fields" to research in, are you thinking about switching to an actualy technology tree that branches out into different things?

For example, starting off with Ent-level missile-like weapons, and then specifically researching photon torpedos instead of just "weapons level 2"?
No, the research matrix stays the same. But instead of having a Tech Database screen where you can view all of the tech objects you can build (buildings, ships, etc), there's a screen that includes not just the tech objects, but other objects and entities in the game (races, maybe star systems). I have a working prototype right now that includes races and tech objects, so I'll probably upload it today or tomorrow.

27 Jan 2007, 00:23
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

OK, here are a couple screenshots to give you an idea of what I mean:

Tech Database -- similar to BotF[url=http://www.armadafleetcommand.com/botf/strobel/encyclopedia1.png]
Encyclopedia[/url] -- showing entry for a Race
Encyclopedia -- showing entry for a Ship; notice how the results are filtered on the fly by typing in the 'Search' box.

They're really not that different, except that the Encyclopedia isn't limited to tech objects. In fact, the Encyclopedia entries for tech objects are identical to the corresponding Tech Database entries. So really this would render the Tech Database screen obsolete.

27 Jan 2007, 02:30
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

I really like this idea, but I think we all agree that it is not crucial or anything. But if you have the time, It'd be great to have this encyclopedia in the game. :wink:

27 Jan 2007, 02:41
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Well, at the very least I can leave it the way it is now and just remove the old Tech Database. Now that the framework is in place, I can always expand on the idea later on.

27 Jan 2007, 02:42
Profile WWW
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Looks great, will each race description have their specific special / buliding?

27 Jan 2007, 12:26
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Hehe perhaps you could take Iwulff's database and expand on it? :P

I REALLY like the idea of having a system like this - it would potentially mean a lot more information would need to be added, but it would make the game look that little bit more polished.

An encyclopedia could be something that the whole community could add to though. Cdrwolfe said MOO3 worked out like this, and although i've never played any of the MOO games myself, it sounds like a great way for expanding and modding the game.

If it can be done, I say go for it, but focus on more important things like the AI for now - we can get the community writing the info when all the other textual stuff needs to be done. :wink:

27 Jan 2007, 13:24
Profile WWW
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

The cool thing about MOO3 was that poeple added more then just race info, they added strategy guides, economy guides etc. Of course MOO3 was more complicated so these quides were needed but i'am sure other things can be added besides race descriptions, only takes some imagination.

27 Jan 2007, 14:16
Reply to topic   [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next