View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 Sep 2024, 06:20

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 would like to help if i can 
Crewman

I havent been much of a programmer much but am a good tester. I also have a nack for finding just about any software for free, even older ones. Just let me know via email if you need my help. I learn pretty quick, but I dont know how much help I can be, but the offer is there.

25 Mar 2007, 18:35
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

well, good testers are always needed. Go for the games here (Supremacy and BotE) and scour them out a little. Supremacy soon gets editors for easy modding. BotE has got some. You'll find the latest versions of them either in the corresponding forum threads here or after a bit searching here: http://www.botf2.com

thx for your offer!

25 Mar 2007, 18:52
Profile WWW
Crewman

Not seen any issues really with suprem. It works great on my XP laptop. Not testing on my Vista box ( not many people have vista). BOTE looks good but the german is confusing me.

25 Mar 2007, 21:54
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
You can also find links here to software and instructions for building ship models. I learned this from scratch myself over the last few months. There is also voice recording for sound bits in the game.

http://www.botfii.armadafleetcommand.co ... &start=120

26 Mar 2007, 14:28
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

It's great to see someone offering their help for once! :mrgreen:

Don't worry about the German in BotE, we are working to Englishize it but until the game is completed we won't be able to translate everything. I completed translating the special techs a few weeks ago and SirPustekuchen is going to include the translations in the next release, so the next release will be better in that respect.

As for other work though, we are crying out for ship models, race voices, music, and graphics. The BOTF2.com site that Malvoisin mentioned is our depository for the files - as soon as anyone makes something that may be useful for any of the games, we upload them there for the respective programmers to download.

If programming is what you are really into though, then your best bet is to contact Jigalypuff, (For New Beginnings) MStrobel, (For Supremacy) Nemitor_Atimen, (For Allegiance) or SirPustekuchen. (For Birth of the Empires)

Let them know exactly what skills you have or are willing to learn, and, if possible, give them an example of your work. That will speed up the whole process of finding something that you can actually do that will be of use. :wink:

Welcome to the site. :D

26 Mar 2007, 15:19
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Supremacy gets tested pretty well under Vista, since both of my workstations are running Vista now. So it's now more useful for me to get feedback from people still running XP anyway :).

26 Mar 2007, 15:34
Profile WWW
Crewman

Ok. Not much of a programmer much. Never really tried it. Just like to beta test software (especially games). I have never seen anyone take such an undertaking since StrikeForce (a FPS based on the original Unreal engine.), so I am happy (not to say also really impressed) that some true trekkie's are taking this wonderfull task on. If you need software or the such I have a few programmer friends that I am fowarding your site on to, just to see if they'd be interested, but I would like to help any way I can.

26 Mar 2007, 16:26
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

well if you know a good german-english online-dictionary or software of some sort, then you might wanna try and help translating the last bits of german in bote to good old english ;) or have a closer look at the data folder of bote where the txt files for the various in-game texts are stored. I'm sure an englishmen easily finds some parts of my translation work there to improve for that matter :).

all texts can also be found online (it's a bit easier than to go thru those txt files..) here: http://www.botf2.com/bote/Wiki/English%20Translation%20[WIP].aspx

if you know about the wiki concept and wanna contribute directly on those wiki pages, do tell me and I'll see what I can do ;)

26 Mar 2007, 16:33
Profile WWW
Crewman

I just recently found you guys so i do not know of a wiki project. Searching now for German-to-English software. Will update here if I can locate.

26 Mar 2007, 16:37
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Finding software is not an issue for us at this point.

We need more people doing work for the project with the software we already have. One place is in 3d ship model design and 2d image painting. Here is a link on this site that will introduce you to it - if you are interested in learning that.

http://www.botfii.armadafleetcommand.co ... pic&t=1344

As noted above we also need original music, vocal artists to read monolog, programmers and someone to wash my car.

26 Mar 2007, 17:40
Crewman

Will see if i can learn ship modeling. Sorry, but i need to wash my own car. :D

26 Mar 2007, 18:26
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Good choice. It will not be easy or at least it will take time. I use Milkshape for 3d models. It is free and powerful enough to get the job done. My first models were humorous but now I have progressed to just stupid looking.

Keep in mind a few major pointers. Milkshape will build your 3D model and save it in different file formats. This program is not; however, powerful enough to "texture" the model well. By texture I mean painting the 3D model. You need to create a 2d image that will be applied over the model to give it color, the elusion of finer detail and things like lettering as in "Enterprise D."

To make the 2d image you need a program like GIMP. There are others but again this one is free and will do the job. This is another program that requires study to understand. There is yet again a new set of tutorials to teach its use.

Before you put the texture on the ship you need to "unwrap" your model. This is done by yet another program. I am using one called Ultimate Unwrap for that. We can get you a copy when the time comes. You export your model in a file format that unwrap can use and it will take apart your model so that your texture can be applied. Without being unwrapped the texture would be smeared out and distorted by applying the 2d image on the third dimension. Each model ends up with one file that is the 3d shape and a second that is the texture.

Take a look at the programs, work through the tutorials online and post your progress and questions. These fine people here were nice enough to give me all the support I required. Consider it Starfleet academy and this is your first day of classes. Once you are good enough we can talk about how I like my car detailed.

26 Mar 2007, 20:05
Crewman

Ok will do. get some drones to do your car.

26 Mar 2007, 23:58
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Nice work Kenneth your assimilation on this guy was masterpiece! :D :D

Welcome to the forum Mburell :wink:

27 Mar 2007, 00:15
Crewman

resistance maybe futile, but i'll resist anyway. 8)

28 Mar 2007, 23:29
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Doesn't Mstrobel need some help with Xml write ups? You could alsways take that up :D

29 Mar 2007, 00:37
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Actually, I'm working on an editor so people can help without having to actually touch the XML :D. It should make things much easier. I'll start packaging it with future Supremacy releases.

29 Mar 2007, 01:02
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

if you need some help with xml, i might be of some use.

Q: The trial never ended. We never reached a verdict. But now we have. You're guilty. Picard: Guilty of what? Q:Of being inferior.

13 Apr 2007, 12:14
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]