View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 Sep 2024, 06:45

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Offering My Services 
Crewman

Hey, everyone. I am offering my services as a voice actor. I have been acting since I was a little kid, and have done a ton of stage work. I'm currently a senior in college, and will graduate with a theatre degree. I would love to do any voice work that you need done. Feel free to private message me or email me if you need me.

16 Apr 2007, 04:58
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Welcome to the forums, MrJuliano! You might want to check out this thread, where KennethGF has helped organize lists of recordings that we need. We'd be glad to have you help out. If you like, I can create an account for you on the BotF2 SharePoint Site so you can upload new recordings.

16 Apr 2007, 05:49
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
It is so good to hear from you and yes we can use your help. Go to this link now:(updated link)
http://www.botfii.armadafleetcommand.co ... pic&t=1715
You will see the instructions. You do not have to wait for a SharePoint account as we can upload your MP3 files if you link to them by posting in that thread. I do like to hear what is recorded before it goes to SharePoint so I can set a common amplification volume level and check for any "clean-up" like removing hiss, pop or in-hailing.

We have submissions for everything but there is always room for improvement. The voices add so much to the game and we want the best we can find. Pick what interest you the most and have fun. I have organized and worked on the voice acting but the programmers are the ones that will decide what and how and if to use what we record.

After that there are other roles you can play in this project. I have been learning to create 3D ship and station models for the game(s) with the help of other members. If you do not want to commit to that level of training, it has taken me months and several new programs, then we need data entry and 2d graphics just to name a few.

Again welcome and have fun because resistance is futile.

Last edited by Kenneth_of_Borg on 19 Apr 2007, 20:10, edited 1 time in total.

16 Apr 2007, 17:10
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Quote:
Again welcome and have fun because resistance is futile.

Ooh good line Kenneth! Jig should add that to the the news screen of the forums! :lol:

Welcome to the site, mrjuliano. It's great to see new people taking the plunge and offering their help. Sadly, it doesn't happen all that often, but there is plenty for people to do if they just offered their skills. Having no artistic, programming, writing, designing, audio, or whatever skills means nothing. Anyone and everyone can play their own part in producing these games. They are by the fans, for the fans afterall. 8)

I started off myself just like you. I was a lurker on the forums for about five seconds, signed up, asked a few questions, and came up with some ideas. people posted their replies, and I responded back.

I kinda got overly involved with the forums and before I knew it, I was the unofficial keeper of forum knowedge - if people asked a question, 9 times out of 10 I posted the reply before even the admin knew about the post. :oops: :mrgreen:

I then offered to help with little things such as writing/checking gramma, and things exploded from there. I'm now a forum moderator, game tester, writer, and general stuff maker. :P

I would post a link to my very first post so you can see just how far things have come along, but it's unfortunately been deleted with a good chunk of the old forums. :cry:

It went along with something like 14000 other posts that were part of an old forum here that is no longer available. The forum had threads like Iwulff's old TWAAO thread (Things We All Agree On) that served as the original game database. That thread became outdated and then the entire forum was locked due to a lack of interest from the community. It was kept for a while to serve as a point of reference for people, but was deleted when it was realised just how outdated and pointless most of the forum was. Dafedz had also created his BOTF2 Database by this point, so the forum really wasn't needed.

Still, it would have been nice to see all the old posts. Newbies especially seemed to like the old forum and occaisionally posted in the general chat forum about ideas they had seen there.

Anyways, i'm rambling as usual. There is plenty of stuff for people to do so I am glad to see someone actually offering their help. We have a good but small community of about 50 people who actively post on the forums, so new blood is always welcomed. Feel free to post any ideas you have, no matter how over the top they may be. Just because an original idea doesn't make it, that doesn't mean ideas based on the original won't make it.

Welcome to the site. :)

16 Apr 2007, 22:18
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

We are slowly closing in on the beta testing phase. It is the one thing that keeps me plugging away so hard on this project. I know that when that time come we can all gang up on Jigalypuff. :wink:

17 Apr 2007, 01:20
Cadet
Cadet

Fancy Meeting you here Mr J!

I had a feeling once you heard the interview you would want to help out!

@ Kenneth - MrJ is part of the Hailing Frequency Crew (STOzone) - his audio production skills are on par with mine - if not better - so you do not need to worry about pops and clicks

17 Apr 2007, 02:17
Profile WWW
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

I thought of another task some people might want to give a go.
Right now wwe have about 1-2 guys working on Race Structures and considering there voer 140 needed the task is time consuming.

So as a relative shortcut, perhaps a few others could try and create "Emblems" or "Crests" for the indivdual minor races.

This helps in some way act as a replacement picture for any building pics not done yet, and i'am sure could find some use in diplomacy or other game sections "intel" etc to differentiate between minor races.

I don't quite know what format/size/resolution should be drawn up but i'am sure someone will point one out. An example of where this was used was MOO3, and where no doubt in BOTF, colour was used to differentiate between races i see no reason why you could not press "Alt" to bring up an icon over system method aswell if needed.

I hope anyone who wants to contribute but like me can't do 3d Meshes or design ships might find this more accessable. Use Paint, or Photshop or anything hell use a pencil, i'am sure others might be willing to convert it to a photshop pic etc let your imagination gooooo.

Though keep it simple and bold lol....

example

Tlani emblem

A small list of examples found in http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/emblems2a.htm

Regards Wolfe

29 Apr 2007, 19:41
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Nice idea Wolf... Those crests and emblems could be very usefull in galaxy map for representing minors task forces at least for minor key races.

Ideal would crests for all 140 races :wink:

29 Apr 2007, 19:52
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

To coin a footballl saying...

"So good he said it twice"

:D

29 Apr 2007, 20:16
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Yes, good idea. I am using GIMP

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

and can point you to tutorials if you are interested. There are simpler programs that could do this though. Even windows paint would likely do. Check with the devs about specs.

29 Apr 2007, 22:00

Quote:
Posted by cdrwolfe
"So good he said it twice"

Not anymore, he isn't. I'm a moderator here. :P

Emblems are a really good idea, but they are going to add more work. People that can do 3D images should concentrate on making building pics whilst those that do 2D should make emblems.

Ideas like this are what make or break a game though. The additional sounds that we are coming up with are another example of where we are not only improving on BOTF, but taking it to a whole new level.

Actually, i'll make a new thread about this. This is something that peopel can definitely help with.

29 Apr 2007, 23:04
Profile WWW
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Agreed, simple stuff for the simple people :)

Also to be honest for me what made BOTF orignal great was the unique stryles and sounds and just that little bit of attention to detail that they added. If it can be improved upon your off to a winner

Regards Wolfe

29 Apr 2007, 23:50
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I agree about the value added. It is so good to have you working and being so proactive about it.

30 Apr 2007, 03:32
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

@ CDRWOLFE - can you add in Adobe some glass effect to emblems like this for example:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/181/3925 ... 3c.jpg?v=0

Small icon size in Supremacy as I see is 16x16 but you should check with Mike.

30 Apr 2007, 07:55

I'd personally make the images bigger than 16x16 - they can always be shrunk down later to other sizes as neeed. Small images are bad because you can't make an image bigger without affecting the quality.

...In fact you can't make a detail-filled 16x16 image anyway! :lol:

The standard image size that we are using is 270x255 pixels. That was a standard size in BOTF as well. Make the images that size and life will be easier in the long run. :wink:

I'm still making the thread, but it is turning into one of my uber threads so it'll be a few days before the final thing is done. I'm making it like the shiplist so that all the relevant info is in to make it easier for people to make images that reflect the relevant races and not make images that people have already done. I only had half a weekend this week coz I was at a weekend study course for work all Friday and Saturday so spent most of Sunday catching up, which is why it is taking me a long time. :evil:

30 Apr 2007, 08:17
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Thanks for all you do uber guy. Question though, is the standard 270 x 255 or is it 270 x 225 or are we talking about two different things? I have been making the ship 2D images at 270 x 225.

30 Apr 2007, 14:17
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

270x225 is correct size :wink:

30 Apr 2007, 14:36

Yeah, 270 pixels (Width) x 255 pixels (Height) is the size we're making the images at - just do all 2D images at this size to avoid confusion. :wink:

We are also making the images in the .png format, although this is NOT crucial. I have a program that can convert many file types into .pngs, so make them as .jpg's if you want. The only problem with jpg's can be with image quality, but that isn't too much of a concern as the images aren't going to be made into background pics or anything.

...Well, they're unlikely to, anyway... :P

02 May 2007, 19:00
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Matress_of_evil wrote:
Yeah, 270 pixels (Width) x 255 pixels (Height) is the size we're making the images at - just do all 2D images at this size to avoid confusion. :wink:

I let this sentence stand for general confusion :lol:

it's 225 dammit! ;)

02 May 2007, 19:02
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

lol :D

270x225 Gold rule

02 May 2007, 19:05

270 x 255 is my final offer. Take it, or be confused. :twisted:

:lol:

Ok ok, typo on my part. It IS 270 by 225. Here's a pic to show the "real" size - just right-click and go to the properties for the dimensions info. :P

02 May 2007, 23:36
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Nice pic Matress, did you already extracted all original images from Botf?

03 May 2007, 09:39

Course I did! They have been up for almost two months now! I'm glad *someone* notices my hard work. :roll:

:lol:

The image above is the Future Technology image, as most of you probably know. All the images like this are contained in the Random Event Images Section of BOTF2.com.

03 May 2007, 20:19
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

I have already created 10 original race logos for BOtf2 so hurry up with thread! :lol:

:wink:

03 May 2007, 20:35
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Keep up the good work mattress. I am impressed with your progress.

03 May 2007, 22:56
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]