View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 22 Sep 2024, 14:20

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Supremacy Test Game 
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Hey Jade, welcome back. Glad you like the game so far :).

25 Sep 2007, 01:31
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Forgive me if this issue has been discussed before.

It does seam the game starts out slowly. I might be more interesting to give each major race at least a scout ship to play with at the opening turn.

Hello again Jade. (I will never get his attention now.) :lol: :wink:

25 Sep 2007, 04:07
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
Hello again Jade. (I will never get his attention now.) :lol: :wink:
Hey, a programmer's life is a lonely one :P.

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
It does seam the game starts out slowly. I might be more interesting to give each major race at least a scout ship to play with at the opening turn.
I have no problem with that. We should probably define a few preset 'start modes', and for each define a list of ships and building that each empire starts with. Or I could come up with an algorithm to do it automatically. Not sure what people would prefer.

25 Sep 2007, 06:13
Profile WWW
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

I'd be happy with a scout. It definitely has to be a combat-capable ship, but as it is your earliest ship, the weaker it is, the better.

Mike, I've started having a go with the Supremacy editor and am adding in races and their descriptions and so on. there's quite a lot of stuff that needs to be added. It'll take time, but it'll make your life easier as you won't need to do it yourself then. I've added about 30 races already!

I've also gone right the way through all the BOTF1 files and found all the images that we might find useful. I've got all the structure images saved in a folder, and some of these are useful for Supremacy. I've given them all transparencies and saved them as.png files. I added the useful images into my Supremacy techobjects folder - and they work. :)

I've emailed these images to you, Mike. :wink:

I could actually do a lot more for you - but i'd need an editor with a lot more options to do so. These are the extra options that I need to be able to set: (If possible)

• Race Homeworld Size
  • Race System Bonuses (Food etc. although these aren't in Supremacy at all yet)
  • Race Homesystem Growth Rates
  • Minor Race Diplomacy Report (This is different to the Race Description and is what is displayed when you first meet a race. The Race description is what should be in the Trekpedia)
  • Race Home Planet Name
  • Minor Race Empire Sympathy Ratings
  • Special Events/Randoms Connected With A Particular Race (I doubt you'll do this, but it's worth asking for hehe)

25 Sep 2007, 13:34
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

:) im always here in the background. I lovvvve the game so far its excellent. I have a Lan party this weekend we gunna play botf dom mod ^^ should be fun.

Hello Kenneth!

Hello Strobel ;)

25 Sep 2007, 13:41
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Oh man, I haven't had a LAN party in years... back in High School, my friends and I would host huge LAN parties--a couple times we had around 20 people. Good times :).

Anyhoo, glad you're still around. It gets quiet in here sometimes ;).

25 Sep 2007, 16:41
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Yes Jade. It is good to have you back. I hope you and that new car are still in top shape.

Yes Mike - what you said. If it is not a lot of bother a default start with a handful of the basic stuff would pick up the pace. An option for a first contact minimal start from ground up would be nice for the more methodical. An option of a fat developed start would keep the impatient interested. That much should fill the basic end result you are thinking of.

26 Sep 2007, 04:00
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Would you be able to use images of bases under constuction? It would not be a lot of work to load up a Starbase or yard or other model, hide a few groups and take a 2D image. With a little touch up it could look like you have a base under construction in the menu. (270x225.png?)

Would there be any value in having a base under construction model if a fight breaks out in a sector were a base is not complete? (You just call up an alternate .3DS file to run off the same textures in that models folder.)

26 Sep 2007, 16:59

Ooh I like that idea, Kenneth! Having a station under construction image would be a nice touch, but physically having a half-built station in tactical combat would be pure eye candy! 8)

...Obviously the modellers would have to agree to it though. Someone's gonna have to make those models...

26 Sep 2007, 17:34
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Well, I agree for my part. Once you have a completed model going back to make a half model would, by comparison, be simple dimple. It could be done to only call for one new file, the extra 3ds version, of that base.

It needs new code. It needs OK from the boss of Supremacy and the boss of me, Mike.

26 Sep 2007, 18:05
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Maybe, but it's low, low priority. Add it to the endless "would be nice" list of features that will probably never see the light of day. I do have other things I'd like to get started on the next few years, like getting married and all that good stuff ;).

26 Sep 2007, 19:40
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Congratulations! - But you do need to work on your priorities. :D

No kids until you finish this game though. You better put that in the vows. :wink: She better be a Trek fan as well.

26 Sep 2007, 20:02

I warned you Mike - give Trek game fans something that they want and your social life is over.

...Now get back to work! :twisted:

26 Sep 2007, 20:18
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Kenneth_of_Borg wrote:
Congratulations! - But you do need to work on your priorities. :D
I only said I'd like to get married and have a life. No candidates at the moment, though hopefully that will change before the end of the decade.

I actually nearly got engaged a couple years ago, then realized it would be a huge mistake. That girl was crazy.

And no kids for many, many years. Actually, now that I've thought about my past relationships, I once again find the concept of marriage quite terrifying, so nevermind ;).

26 Sep 2007, 21:38
Profile WWW

Our work here is done. :mrgreen:

26 Sep 2007, 22:36
Profile WWW
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Matress_of_evil wrote:
Our work here is done. :mrgreen:

LOL

You deserve a field commendation :D

26 Sep 2007, 22:45

Commendation recieved. :)

Any news on my suggested editor improvements, Mike? Are they even doable? You haven't responded about it yet. I guess Jade really is more important. :P

I'm still chugging away through the minor races and adding them to my version of Supremacy. What files will I need to send to you once i'm done?

26 Sep 2007, 23:01
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

I never received the e-mail you mentioned, Matress. Remember that my old @cc.gatech.edu address is no longer valid...

As for the editor improvements, yes, most of them can be done easily...

27 Sep 2007, 00:31
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

YEah me and car are good! I still have my s2000 i didnt go for a new one in the end but i love the new supra!

Im always on this section of the forums mstrobel so if it get quite give me a kick and ill liven it up :D

Got so much work on at the moment ive just got back from finland!! Hopefully i can do something usfull here before i go to dublin!

27 Sep 2007, 09:02
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Huh, I didn't know Toyota was releasing a new Supra... cool. My brand new BMW got wrecked when some moron pulled out right in front of me without looking. I've got a new 335i Coupe on order though :mrgreen:.

Finland and now Dublin? I'm jealous at how much travelling you get to do!

27 Sep 2007, 17:03
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Helsinki is actually nice place if you happened to be there. I remember it from a 3-week-around-scandinavia-and-back trip with some folks from my semester a couple of years ago. I still even have the original-finnish-knife with my initials engraved in it (though luckily I never had to use it except once short after when fishing in the seas around north cap on a slightly shaky cutter and had to open and "prepare" the fish all by ourselves (:lol: yes it was as ..... as it sounds ;)).

Must say I never really was in Dublin, merely drove by on another trip on the island.. but that's another story. Have fun there, Jade!

27 Sep 2007, 18:16
Profile WWW

Didn't get the email? I sent it to your Hotmail account, Mike, and Gmail didn't send me any undeliverable mail notifications. The zipped file was only 5mb as well, so even Hotmail can accept such a small file... :?

Wierd...i'll send it again if needs be. Just let me know.

I'm glad you can do the editor updates - which ones do you think you can do? Obviously the random event one should be the easiest... :P

The editor updates will be great for creating mods as well - especially mods that convert Galactic Supremacy 2 into a Trek game... :lol:

27 Sep 2007, 19:55
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Jade, you could play the game and look for ways to make it better. (I spend most of my time making models.)

I had a very nice time in Dublin as a tourist last year. Look for the musical pub crawl if you have not been there before (just tourist BS but a fun time.) The music just seams to get better the more pubs you drink in. :wink:

Last edited by Kenneth_of_Borg on 27 Sep 2007, 22:03, edited 1 time in total.

27 Sep 2007, 20:10
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

@matress: I never check my Hotmail account, how did you even know I had one? My primary e-mail account is through GMail (same username as my Hotmail account).

Race Homeworld Size
This can be done easily enough.

Race System Bonuses
This can be done easily once bonuses are actually implemented. I suppose those should have been done *already*, so I'll prioritize them.

Race Homesystem Growth Rates
These values are always computed based on the hability of a system's planets relative to a race's preferred planet type (the planet type of their homeworld). You can't override them.

Minor Race Diplomacy Report
This can be done easily.

Race Home Planet Name
I think this can already be done (the home planet name is always equal to the system name). I could change it so they can be different.

Minor Race Empire Sympathy Ratings
I need to hold off on this until I decide what sort of value ranges will be used in the diplomacy system.

27 Sep 2007, 21:34
Profile WWW

Quote:
@matress: I never check my Hotmail account, how did you even know I had one? My primary e-mail account is through GMail (same username as my Hotmail account).

Ah, the wonders of MSN...all three of your email accounts are in my contacts list! :wink:

The Home planet name needs to be different to the Homesystem name because some races do have completely different planet names to system names. An example would be the Aldeans - who are from planet Aldea in the Epsilon Mynos system.

Actually, I've thought of another thing that would be a useful addition to the editor - Homesystem number. It might be getting a bit too pedantic, but we know that *some* races are from a particular planet number. An example would be the Angosians, who are from planet Angosia III. This would be useful if we really wanted to go for canon. It's entirely up to you though, Mike whether you add this one or not. Thanks for adding in everything else though! :)

27 Sep 2007, 23:05
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

The minor race home systems are randomly generated, and they really ought to be to make things more interesting. Thus we cannot define which planet number a race lives on without defining how many planets there are in the system, and I'd rather not do that. We should remove any references to planet numbers from the race descriptions.

28 Sep 2007, 02:17
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah i guess i can be talked into downloading the latest patch and playing for bug finding :)
I will have fun!! but ill stop spamming this thread :P

(I stayed in Helsinki mal :P)

28 Sep 2007, 09:11
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Bug finding will help but you also may look at the design. What will make it more fun to play?

It is likely beyond what could be done now but there is a way that the flow of the game would be streamlined. Didn't you have to go to each of your planetary systems in turn to manage your empire in BOTF? What if you put one subtype of management for all your worlds in one place?

If I am not mistaken you have to go to each developed planet you control to look at each subtype of management in turn, say ship building. What if ship production for all your worlds was side by side on one scrollable or tabbed screen. Then when you want to look at ships you will build or labor distribution you go to an empire wide screen to see all systems side by side. I think it would make micromanagement easier. It would take a major bit of coding.

29 Sep 2007, 16:36
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Well, the AI system for the non-human empires will have to include some sort of "System Viceroy" to manage the loacal systems, and I plan to extend that same functionality to the human players if they don't want to micromanage all of their systems.

29 Sep 2007, 19:32
Profile WWW
Crewman

hey guys, just tryed to download the game but when i clicked the link it went to a white page telling me it couldnt find it? dont sopose u know another way i can download the game? cheers

07 Feb 2008, 08:39
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next