View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 22 Sep 2024, 18:35

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Howdy 
Crewman

Heya

Just thought I'd drop a message and say hi...

I remember reading about Supremacy some time ago and thought "heck it's gonna be YEARS before we even see a screenshot!"... well, I was glad to see a demo version of ST:S ready to download and I gotta say... WOW! :o

It's beautiful just to look at and it really feels like you're using a proper LCARS interface when playing.

I just gave it a quick run to see how it looked and felt like... and I loved it! :bigthumb:
I'm afraid I can't offer much help (graphically, code) with this project other than perhaps some voiceacting and if you need a Danish translation somewhere. :)
I'll have a look at the voices you need and I'll try and see if I can't make a sample or 2 for you.

But again... really great work so far!

PS: at Turn 43 it really started bringing back bad memories from the turn time in the original BotF. :?

26 Feb 2008, 05:48
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Hi Sorvin, welcome to the forums! I'm glad you like the game so far. There is a known issue where the Explore ship command seriously degrades turn performance after a while. I'm not aware of any other major performance issues.

26 Feb 2008, 13:30
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Welcome and we would love to hear from you.

26 Feb 2008, 14:24
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Hey Sorvin, welcome to the forums! :)

If you want to do a Danish translation, then that would be relatively easy to accomodate because Mike has already thought about possible translations - in fact, the editor already is capable of supporting 'localizations', and Danish is one of the languages that is listed in the box. :)

The image below is part of the actual editor with this localization box displayed. To access the localisation box, you have to click one of the two buttons that i've highlighted. (The top button lets you localise the name of the object, the bottom button lets you localise the description)

I'm not sure if the game itself fully supports having other languages though, as only the editor has this capability - at the moment. All other text is held elsewhere in the game files, so these would also need translating. There would also be problems such as text on images and the voices. It would basically involve a lot of work to translate the game, but we would definitely help support the translations if someone wanted to do it.

...It might be best to wait until the game is complete though - the game is still a long way from final release and changes are still inevitable. You wouldn't want to spend months translating stuff that was then changed or removed in a later release... :shock:

Your English is good, by the way. Welcome to the forums. :bigthumb:

26 Feb 2008, 15:38
Profile WWW
Crewman

@ mstrobel - Yeah took me 3.5 minutes to complete a turn, tried switching off the explore button and it worked instantly.

@ Matress_of_evil - I was more thinking in the line of manuels/tutorials/guides etc.... translating the whole game would take a massive amount of time! :waah:

Of course I'll do some random playtesting of the demo/alpha/beta versions as you release them and try to give my feedback on them. :)

26 Feb 2008, 18:20

Ah...we need to actually write the manuals before they can be translated... :mischief: :lol:

26 Feb 2008, 22:47
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

@Sorvin: Glad to hear that switching off 'Explore' helped. I ought to just disable that feature in the next build until it gets fixed.

@Sorvin and Matress_of_evil: There's really no sense in translating the game at this point, because all of the game text is still subject to change. That sort of thing really needs to wait unil the game is nearly complete. Also, I'm going to be consolidating all of the game text into the new database over time (the one in which the building/ship/etc. text is currently stored). Once that's done, it will be much easier to do translations in the editor.

27 Feb 2008, 17:45
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]