View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 Sep 2024, 06:28

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Micromanagement 
Crewman

Hi folks,

Just wondering what sort of level of micromanagement is being aimed for? I ask because I noticed in the pre-alpha that some has been done away with by adding a much larger build queue, and yet some has been added in the form of starship fuel and increased population not automatically being assigned to open slots?

Thanks.

28 Feb 2008, 07:24
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Micromanagement is one of Mike's pet issues with the game. He wants it to be as flexible as possible so that people at both ends of the spectrum will have fun with the game. Eventually, you'll be able to set the game to auto and system management will be done for you automatically - or you'll be able to switvh it off and do everything yourself.

If there are any areas where you would like the ability to micromanage to be increased or decreased, please let him know. He won't be able to guage what people think if he doesn't have any opinions to inform his decisions.

28 Feb 2008, 11:53
Profile WWW
Crewman

Ah sounds good. Personally I don't mind the micromanagement, except at the end stages of the game when you're having to look after tens of systems, which can get a bit tedious.

The only thing I really am unsure about is the whole fuel thing for ships. I'm not enthusiastic about it, but I'll give anything a shot once :)

28 Feb 2008, 16:09

Tens of systems?! I'm assuming you haven't seen the giant map in the game... :P

Yes, each one of those twinklies is a colonizable system. :mrgreen:

28 Feb 2008, 19:06
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I'm takin the second star to the right..

28 Feb 2008, 19:21
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Malvoisin wrote:
I'm takin the second star to the right..

Stay away from the green one. That one's mine. :mrgreen:

Like matress said, a core concept behind Supremacy is macromanagement. I want to offer a greater depth of gameplay than BotF, but designed such that the added minutae can be either ignored or automated by the player. That way players can find their own balance between detailed micromanagement and just focusing on the "big picture".

28 Feb 2008, 23:46
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Sounds good to me. :thumbwink:

29 Feb 2008, 00:14
Crewman

I think having some preset building queue's or being able to create your own saved queue's that when you colonize a planet you get the option of choosing which preset/saved queue to start with. For me, in most games of this type, I tend to have different build queue's for different planet types, ie resource planet, science planet, industrial planet. But in BotF I would pretty much build the same thing over and over again on new colonies, except if they could build wind power or charge collectors and had some special building or I needed a shipyard to increase ship range. I always found it annoying to have to fill the queue with the same build orders time and time again.

29 Feb 2008, 18:40
Profile YIM WWW
Crewman

I'd like to be able to name my own ships and set my flagship (maybe it could get some kind of bonus?). :bigthumb:

03 Sep 2008, 03:50
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

the flagship designation and bonus to the overall fleet is something BotE for example already has, so I think Supremacy will have it too since it's really a nice and sometimes even decisive feature. Will also give a strong morale malus if you lose your flagship however.. ;)

03 Sep 2008, 07:17
Profile WWW

Shipnaming is something that was implemented in Supremacy a while ago, but it was glitchy and wouldn't save the names you set after you clicked turn. I *think* Mike might have disabled it for the time being because we had so many posts about it. It will definitely be in the game eventually though, so you don't need to worry about that.

03 Sep 2008, 10:24
Profile WWW
Crewman

Hi all,

Sorry to bring this one back from the dead. After colonizing about a dozen planets, I wished that there was a colony page similar to the one in Master of Orion 2.

If you're not familiar with it, it's a page that basically shows you everything about your colonies. Where all the labor is, resources production, what's being built, food, industry, science. You could mouse over individulal colonies for more info and click into them if you wanted to change anything. It was a nice, at a glance view of everything and makes managing a large number of colonies easier.

Oh well, just throwing the idea out.

Cheers!

29 May 2009, 07:00

People have actually already asked about implementing such a feature, Doorknob. Mike has said he'll look into it, so it's definitely on his to-do list, so are a million other things. So chances are it will make it into the game, but possibly not for a long while.

29 May 2009, 12:01
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]