View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 Sep 2024, 14:58

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 BotF Supremacy vs. BotF | my 2c 
Cadet
Cadet

I am a fan of BOTF game, and I still play it after so much time. Because it has that game 'fluid' who binds true trekkies to the game.

The BOTF II although its a UNOFFICIAL edition, its developed by the group of enthusiast, and trekkies, I had to speak up or forever hold my peace.

Some people would say that I am maybe of not getting to this but, what the hack...

Keep in mind that I will refer to the BOTF vs BOTF II (Supremacy) comparison and rating, and stating some weird things.

1. Icon on the desktop - It says SupremacyClient insted of StarTrek Supremacy. I think there is no issue for it to say as it should.

2. Intro screen - When it loaded up I thought the movie is going to start. But not a StarTrek movie. I like the idea, but I dont like the execution. They should keep it in few elements as possible. Maybe just that Soverign class ship and stars in the back.

3. Intro fonts - change it. Its ST TNG B&B films font. I like the old one. Why change it?

4. When it loads up, on my 22" wide screen its hard to look to the bottom right to find the menu. Why couldn't it be in center (vertical and horizontal) and in behind the ships of StarTrek universe (like in BOTF). Its still doable, no?

5. Mouse pointer could be done better. Especially for the busy, there is none. Since they have the UFP logo for game icon (desktop). I would go with its animation for busy. Simple.

6. I know the game is not done 100% and it has a long time to fly, until its destination. But there should be, just for the laugh, options for selecting other races and start age. I go from zero, but it would be nice to have it. Just to know it would be implemented.

7. The busy text bla bla. I hate that. If its in development, you need to know what it is doing. Ok. But for end game? No. Also, if I want to play it as single player, it always goes and downloads some things from the web. Some update. Its a single player game. No net connection! Please! :)

8. System panel. When you go in sys panel you see that the things are not where you have left it in BOTF. :( Build queue its on the left. The place is screwed up totally. You can see that there were no professional UI designer on the job.

9. Aiming for buttons. I am used to throw pointer in the upper right corner and click. Now I need a guided mouse pointer to hit the button.

10. Construction from the build list. I dont know what is going on. I had items to build 10 turns and it has finished in 7?!

11. Shipbuilding are represented by their images only. Not to big of a problem. But. Wouldn't it be nicer if they were 3D and able to rotate?

12. Also, switched sides for Description...

I could go on...

Simply. They only needed to UPDATE THE GAME, not CHANGE IT. :)

18 Jul 2008, 18:47
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

sirNemanjapro wrote:
1. Icon on the desktop - It says SupremacyClient insted of StarTrek Supremacy. I think there is no issue for it to say as it should.
SupremacyClient is simply the name of the assembly. You're welcome to create a shortcut using whatever name you like. When the game is finished and ships with an installer, it will create shortcuts with the proper name. In the meantime, it's not a priority.

sirNemanjapro wrote:
Intro screen - When it loaded up I thought the movie is going to start. But not a StarTrek movie. I like the idea, but I dont like the execution. They should keep it in few elements as possible. Maybe just that Soverign class ship and stars in the back.
If you know a talented artist that would be willing to create a better one, I'll certainly consider swapping it out.

sirNemanjapro wrote:
3. Intro fonts - change it. Its ST TNG B&B films font. I like the old one. Why change it?
Sorry, I'm in love with the current Supremacy logo, so it's staying :mrgreen:.

sirNemanjapro wrote:
4. When it loads up, on my 22" wide screen its hard to look to the bottom right to find the menu. Why couldn't it be in center (vertical and horizontal) and in behind the ships of StarTrek universe (like in BOTF). Its still doable, no?
Because that would obscure the game title on lower resolution displays. That was actually the first arrangement that I tried.

sirNemanjapro wrote:
5. Mouse pointer could be done better. Especially for the busy, there is none. Since they have the UFP logo for game icon (desktop). I would go with its animation for busy. Simple.
Again, if you know someone who can make nice animated cursors, or if you'd like to make one yourself, I'll consider adding it to the game. I'd like to get more custom cursors in the game, but it just hasn't been a priority.

sirNemanjapro wrote:
I know the game is not done 100% and it has a long time to fly, until its destination. But there should be, just for the laugh, options for selecting other races and start age. I go from zero, but it would be nice to have it. Just to know it would be implemented.
You're right--that really should be implemented by now, considering you can play as different empires (but only with the Federation/LCARS GUI). I'll bump it up on my "to do" list. In the meantime, you can select another empire by creating a multiplayer game with only yourself in it.

sirNemanjapro wrote:
The busy text bla bla. I hate that. If its in development, you need to know what it is doing. Ok. But for end game? No. Also, if I want to play it as single player, it always goes and downloads some things from the web. Some update. Its a single player game. No net connection! Please! :)
There is no internet connection. Supremacy always runs as two separate components--a client and a server. For a single player game, the server runs in the background on your computer. Many games actually work this way. Unlike multiplayer games, the client connects directly to the server during single player games using a mechanism called a "named pipe"--no network connection is established. The client/server system is a very important aspect of the game's design, and it will not change.

sirNemanjapro wrote:
System panel. When you go in sys panel you see that the things are not where you have left it in BOTF. :( Build queue its on the left. The place is screwed up totally. You can see that there were no professional UI designer on the job.
Supremacy is not a BotF clone or an "updated" version of the game. It's an entirely new game inspired by BotF. Personally, I think BotF's UI was rather limited, and most people seem to feel that Supremacy's UI is far superior. Nevertheless, if you would like to propose an alternate design, and if enough people like it, I'll consider swapping it out.

sirNemanjapro wrote:
Aiming for buttons. I am used to throw pointer in the upper right corner and click. Now I need a guided mouse pointer to hit the button.
In BotF, the buttons were huge and the screen was a very low resolution. Supremacy makes better use of the space available. If you have difficulty clicking the Turn button, you can instead hit Ctrl+Enter from the galaxy screen.

sirNemanjapro wrote:
10. Construction from the build list. I dont know what is going on. I had items to build 10 turns and it has finished in 7?!
If the current build project can be finished with industry points left to spare, then the remaining industry points will automatically be invested into the next project. Therefore, one project may finish and another may be started during the same turn. Indeed, if enough points are available, multiple items may be built during the same turn.

sirNemanjapro wrote:
Shipbuilding are represented by their images only. Not to big of a problem. But. Wouldn't it be nicer if they were 3D and able to rotate?
I would like to add rotating 3D ship models in the right-hand info panel, but at the moment we do not have models for all of the ships. Since this feature is purely cosmetic, it takes a lower priority than gameplay-related features.

sirNemanjapro wrote:
Also, switched sides for Description...
I like it how it is...

sirNemanjapro wrote:
I could go on...

Simply. They only needed to UPDATE THE GAME, not CHANGE IT. :)
Like I said, Supremacy is not a BotF remake or a BotF clone. It's an entirely new game. If you don't like it, you're welcome to create your own game.

18 Jul 2008, 20:12
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

if I can add my 2 legal cents in here, making the game look like an exact copy, only slightly updated, is in fact a copyright infringement towards BotF, especially if you replicate design "weaknesses" which botf obviously had. I find it good the way it is right now plus the game is on a safer side that way..

18 Jul 2008, 20:29
Profile WWW
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Quote:
I would like to add rotating 3D ship models in the right-hand info panel, but at the moment we do not have models for all of the ships. Since this feature is purely cosmetic, it takes a lower priority than gameplay-related features.

How much 'CPU' cost would that bring, also how would you go about it, i'am guessing threw WPF, something like viewport, though i can't quite remember whats best to represent 3D models?

On a side note that reminds me i have a question for you......

Regards Wolfe

18 Jul 2008, 20:38
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

cdrwolfe wrote:
How much 'CPU' cost would that bring, also how would you go about it, i'am guessing threw WPF, something like viewport, though i can't quite remember whats best to represent 3D models?
When the RTM of WPF v3.5 SP1 ships, it will include a "Direct3DImage" image source that will allow you to host an interactive Direct3D scene in the same way that you would host a non-interactive, static image. I imagine that would be the way to go.

18 Jul 2008, 20:48
Profile WWW
Jig of the Puff
Jig of the Puff

thats a lot of crits for what most consider to be an excellent game. given it is still beta and mike was good enough to make it open source i fail to see how you can complain, get the source code and change the stuff you don`t like around :mischief:

18 Jul 2008, 21:21
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

jigalypuff wrote:
thats a lot of crits for what most consider to be an excellent game. given it is still beta and mike was good enough to make it open source i fail to see how you can complain, get the source code and change the stuff you don`t like around :mischief:

Cheers, Jig :bigthumb:

18 Jul 2008, 21:22
Profile WWW
Cadet
Cadet

Thanks for the answers.
It seems I just cant get away from BotF. As flawed as it is I still consider it a good game (8.5 average).
Supremacy is just not for me I guess. But never the less I love the work you've done and the effort invested in the Supremacy.
Two thumbs way up! :bigthumb:

05 Aug 2008, 13:13
Profile ICQ YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]