View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 Sep 2024, 06:28

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 PLEASE HELP THIS NOOB! 
Crewman

Okay so I have downloaded .Net Framework and the demo game. Now what? The Supremacy website says to follow the instructions to copy the game to your drive but there are no instructions. How did I get this thing properly installed so I can play? Please help!

25 Sep 2008, 02:37
Crewman

Extract to any folder and run "Supremacy.exe".
Have fun.

25 Sep 2008, 06:56
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Overlord is correct; extract the Supremacy files into a folder of your choice, then run Supremacy.exe to load the game. (It will just be called Supremacy if you haven't selected to display the file types)

Other than installing the .Net requirements, you don't need to install anything; not even the game. And every time you run the game, it will also check for and install any (Game) updates that you need. Remember, the game is far from complete yet, and doesn't have any AI, winning conditions, or combat system, but Mike (The developer) regularly releases game updates, sometimes several times a week, so you can be sure you will be playing the latest version of the game.

If you encounter any problems, such as freezing during turn processing, random crashes, graphical issues, etc, then please let us know about them. If the game crashes, you can usually find an error message in either Error.txt or ServerError.txt - these files will be created in the folder that you put the game files in. They might not necessarily be both created at the same time though. If you find either of these files, please open them and post the error message in a post here. The game will delete the files next time you play the game though so you will need to post them before you reload the game. If the game freezes during turn processing though, you will need to force the game to close and it won't create an error log file. We haven't yet tracked down the cause of the turn processing freeze as it is relatively rare and is apparently random in nature. Fingers crossed you won't encounter these problems. :)

25 Sep 2008, 10:39
Profile WWW
Crewman

Actually it's "SupremacyClient.exe" ;)

25 Sep 2008, 18:12

Umm...abbreviations... :mischief:

25 Sep 2008, 19:57
Profile WWW
Crewman

Thanks gents. I will try it out and hopefully it will work.

27 Sep 2008, 22:35
Crewman

Well I followed all of your directions. That seemed to work but upon the game booting up I got an error message and the following text file explaining the error. I tried to reextract all the files and start from scratch but no such luck. I really want to play. Please help again!!

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)
at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)

----------------------------------------

The type initializer for 'Supremacy.UI.StarSystemPanel' threw an exception.

at Supremacy.UI.StarSystemPanel.PreloadImages()
at Supremacy.Client.GameWindow..ctor() in C:\Users\Mike Strobel\Workspace\supremacy\Mainline\SupremacyClient\GameWindow.xaml.cs:line 286
at Supremacy.Client.SplashScreen.LoadGameWindow() in C:\Users\Mike Strobel\Workspace\supremacy\Mainline\SupremacyClient\SplashScreen.xaml.cs:line 83

Could not find a part of the path 'C:\Users\Lorenzo and Candi\Documents\Supremacy\Resources\Images\Stars\Nebula.png'.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder.SetupDecoderFromUriOrStream(Uri uri, Stream stream, BitmapCacheOption cacheOption, Guid& clsId, Boolean& isOriginalWritable, Stream& uriStream, UnmanagedMemoryStream& unmanagedMemoryStream, SafeFileHandle& safeFilehandle)
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapDecoder.CreateFromUriOrStream(Uri baseUri, Uri uri, Stream stream, BitmapCreateOptions createOptions, BitmapCacheOption cacheOption, RequestCachePolicy uriCachePolicy, Boolean insertInDecoderCache)
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapImage.FinalizeCreation()
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSource.CompleteDelayedCreation()
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.BitmapSource.get_WicSourceHandle()
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.CachedBitmap.FinalizeCreation()
at System.Windows.Media.Imaging.CachedBitmap..ctor(BitmapSource source, BitmapCreateOptions createOptions, BitmapCacheOption cacheOption)
at Supremacy.UI.StarSystemPanel..cctor() in C:\Users\Mike Strobel\Workspace\supremacy\Mainline\SupremacyUI\StarSystemPanel.cs:line 74

27 Sep 2008, 23:24
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Odd, after doing a search I noticed similar problems related to the MS update of 3.5 SP1 and its incompatibility with Supremacy at that time, however MStroble had recently updated the game to run using the new .Net 3.5 SP1 update.

One thing to make sure is that you have the most recent version of the game and also that when you first start the game, give it 30 or so seconds to look for any updates.

I'am not sure whether MStrobel included the fix in the download version or whether he just left it to the updater. If he did then it is possible that you may be starting a game to quickly and not allowing the updater to kick in and check for any updates.

Might help or it might not.

Regards Wolfe

28 Sep 2008, 13:52

Wolfe, I solved Ln's problem in Another Thread. Some of the game images were missing or corrupt.

28 Sep 2008, 23:42
Profile WWW
Crewman

Yes Matres solved it. I just posted in 2 different threads for a quick response. Thanks. I played the game all last night. I loved it...can't wait until the full version comes out.

29 Sep 2008, 01:14

If you have any feedback, ideas for improvements, requests for changes, constructive criticism, etc etc, then please let us know. This game is being made for the community afterall, so the community gets to help make it. :)

29 Sep 2008, 09:41
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]