View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 Sep 2024, 06:24

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ] 
 Question and Feedback 
Crewman

First my question is um, when will be the next update for Star Trek Surpremecy? I am so anxious have my ships im combat and just go to war with all the major races. I'm a War lover =P but I also do alliances, best way to keep race intact, right?

Anyways, if you guys already know this, I feel stupid for saying it but:

I've noticed that when you play single player and upgraded basically the auto-mated farms and all that to Lvl 2 or higher, and have bunch of stuff being built or already built after you've researched everything to lvl 4 or higher. I've noticed that if you were either placing a command or I just can't seem to remember exactly but if you were doing something and when you right click and hit system, you would en up getting results of the Sol system and for say:

You got lvl 5 Auto mated farms and all that upgraded and built. Um, like (not sure if Mark II SHipyard is under lvl 5 research or not but) you have Mark II shipyard built. So if you were doing something and if for say you selected a system that is not Sol, and right click and hit the system button some where away from teh system you selected, you would get Sol system up saying you have lvl 1 or lvl 2 automated farms and such like that and the stuff that was built, needing to be built. But its not really a bad thing it just tends to do that, and you can fix it just by exiting out and selecting the Sol and right clicking and clicking on the system butotn, or go up and hit the down arrow to bring up the list of systems that is yours, select a different system and then go back to Sol, the information would be updated.

I was able to select these races on multiplayer, Romulans, Klingons, Cardassians, and the Dominion, which I was glad to be able to experiment with but:

The Romulans, it was quite odd that you were able to build the shipyard lvl I, II and III at the same time, and that even though when I did have the first shipyard built, and powered, you couldn't build the ships because there was no turn numbers on them, even when the industry had labors, like four or five labors so it should be enough to make atleast a cruiser in 1 or 2 turns. But no numbers would show.

And as for Cardassians, when you go to colonize a system, for some strange reason the 'Population: XXX' won't appear above 'Max Population: XXX' in the lower part of the screen. I've even colonized more than one system and it would not do it. So basically it made a Max Pop system of 150 or 320 into 0 Max pop systems.

I don't remember exactly what is wrong with the Dominion or Klingons as I haven't played them long enough to tell what it wrong, but as for everything else, its great. Its a good game and I just can't wait for updates XD. Though if I wanted to, for say, quit one map or say I started a single player on a small galaxy and I wanted to save it and start a new one or go into multiplayer and select Klingons, it would always have an error. So I always have to exit the game first, wait a moment and then start the game up again in order to start a new map or play a different race.

And as for the Editor, I don't know what the button is, but I think it was either editing something or adding something and if I hit this '...' button right under the name bar or above the description part, it would lock up and then crash. I have been able to add a station, a super station that you can build in the Build tab on the system, instead of using construction ship, and it would give me a lot power, food, such as that. Ya a sort of way of cheating lol, but at times it got boring so I have two files of ST: Surpremacy, one on my desktop and one in the c:/program files or where it supposed to be, so I would just copy the folder from my desktop and put it where the other one is and hit 'yes all' then reupdate it by the auto-update and just play it normally.

Last words, for this post is...I love it, great work!

16 Aug 2008, 02:25
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Hey Blaze, welcome to the forums! :)

It depends what you mean by 'update' - Mike (The Developer) is making updates on an almost weekly (If not even faster) basis. These are small, incremental updates though, such as bug fixes or simply laying the groundwork for bigger updates later on.

If you're on about major updates, such as the implementation of the combat system, then i'm afraid you're going to be waiting for a while. We already have a demo of the combat system available for download though; you would ordinarily be able to get it from the first post of This Thread - but we recently lost our Sharepoint file hosting service, including all of the files stored there, so the demo is unavailable at the moment. But don't panic, we will post a news item as soon as we get Sharepoint back or find a more reliable alternative to host our files.

Anyways, Supremacy contains an auto-updater that runs every time you load the game. It compares the versions of your files with those on the update server - if your files are different, it will then notify you there is an update available and ask if you wish to download the update. Once the download is complete, the game will need to close so it can load the new files - but then it will automatically reload itself without you needing to do anything! Clever huh? :)

The Sol problem isn't a problem that anyone has mentioned before, Blaze; i've not noticed it myself either. It might be the result of corrupt files on your end, it might be something to do with the most recent update, or a number of other things. Try playing the game again and see if it happens again; if it does, please wait until the next game update is released. (Which might be a few days yet because Mike's update-creating computer crashed so he's got to reinstall Vista) If the glitch still appears, post about it again.

The non-Federation Empires are barely implemented in the current release of the game, Blaze. I am personally working on a major content update that will fix most, if not all of the problems that you have mentioned. I've been working on this update for a few months now, and i've still got a lot to do. I haven't even started on adding the ships of the different races and adding their stats yet. The buildings, for the most part, are complete though, as are the implementation of the minor races, their homesystems, and their buildings (A bug stops you from being able to build the minor race special structures though).

The lack of turn numbers is most likely because the ships you were trying to build had no build costs set.

The Cardassian problem is something Mike will want to look at; I can't check coz the game just crashed on me and i'm about to go on holiday. :lol:

Blaze wrote:
I don't remember exactly what is wrong with the Dominion or Klingons as I haven't played them long enough to tell what it wrong

...So you're looking for problems? Some people are just never satisfied. :lol:

The crashing as the Klingons is likely another result of the lack of implementation with the game database though. Some of their structures are missing so the game crashes.

If you're making your own mods, you don't need to copy all of the game files; the game data is kept in the Supremacy/Resources/Data folder - just keep a backup of that folder, and you'll be able to mod to your hearts content. :wink:

Mike hasn't programmed the editor the product error reports, but it's actually something that I mentioned to him last night, coincidentally, so it may be added in the future. If you encounter problems with the game though, open your Supremacy folder and look for 'Error.txt' and 'ServerError.txt' - these files (But not necessarily both) will be created whenever the game crashes. The messages that these files contain can help Mike to track the cause of any problems, so if you could post them then Mike will be able to help you with the problems. However, the files will be deleted the next time you play the game, so you will need to post them before you try playing the game again.

Thanks for the feedback, and if you have any other comments about the game, please post about them. :thumbsup:

Now i'm off to North Wales for a week. Have fun with the game. :)

16 Aug 2008, 08:57
Profile WWW
Crewman

Quote:
...So you're looking for problems? Some people are just never satisfied.

Well I thought that if I looked for any bugs an such and give feedback, it help the game out more, you know. So, once I get done with single player tiny galaxy map...nearly colonized all systems, just skipping the ones that are less than a 100 max pop...then I'll jump over to multi player and play the Klingons for a bit then switch over to Dominion.

As for error file, I'll get back to you on that one, when I decide to switch races on multiplayer, I'll try to remember not to hit the exit button on the main menu so that I can get that error, go into the error log and post it for ya.

Oh and as for that Sol system weird bug, I get it like after maybe so many turns...maybe best shot is 80, so you hafta be doing something else or for say if you have a ship selected and hit right click and go to systems, it might do that, because it does that to me often, depending on what it was I doing...maybe if I do it more often I can explain it more clearly.

16 Aug 2008, 19:49
Crewman

This is the error I got when I retired from a game and try to play a different one without exiting out of Surpremacy first.

The ChannelDispatcher at 'net.pipe://localhost/SupremacyService/Local' with contract(s) '"ISupremacyService"' is unable to open its IChannelListener.

at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelDispatcher.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.ServiceHostBase.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.Open()
at Supremacy.WCF.SupremacyServiceHost.StartService(Boolean localEndpointOnly) in C:\Users\Mike Strobel\Workspace\supremacy\Mainline\SupremacyService\SupremacyServiceHost.cs:line 57
at Supremacy.WCF.SupremacyServiceHost.StartService(Boolean localEndpointOnly)
at Supremacy.Client.HumanClient.HostGame(String playerName, String fileName, GameOptions options, Boolean isSinglePlayerGame) in C:\Users\Mike Strobel\Workspace\supremacy\Mainline\SupremacyClient\HumanClient.cs:line 474
at Supremacy.Client.HumanClient.HostGame(String playerName) in C:\Users\Mike Strobel\Workspace\supremacy\Mainline\SupremacyClient\HumanClient.cs:line 410
at Supremacy.Client.MultiplayerSetupScreen.HostGameCommand_Executed(Object sender, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs e) in C:\Users\Mike Strobel\Workspace\supremacy\Mainline\SupremacyClient\MultiplayerSetupScreen.xaml.cs:line 181
at System.Windows.Input.CommandBinding.OnExecuted(Object sender, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.ExecuteCommandBinding(Object sender, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs e, CommandBinding commandBinding)
at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.FindCommandBinding(CommandBindingCollection commandBindings, Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e, ICommand command, Boolean execute)
at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.FindCommandBinding(Object sender, RoutedEventArgs e, ICommand command, Boolean execute)
at System.Windows.Input.CommandManager.OnExecuted(Object sender, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.UIElement.OnExecutedThunk(Object sender, ExecutedRoutedEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Input.ExecutedRoutedEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object target)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean trusted)
at System.Windows.Input.RoutedCommand.ExecuteImpl(Object parameter, IInputElement target, Boolean userInitiated)
at System.Windows.Input.RoutedCommand.ExecuteCore(Object parameter, IInputElement target, Boolean userInitiated)
at MS.Internal.Commands.CommandHelpers.CriticalExecuteCommandSource(ICommandSource commandSource, Boolean userInitiated)
at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnClick()
at System.Windows.Controls.Button.OnClick()
at System.Windows.Controls.Primitives.ButtonBase.OnMouseLeftButtonUp(MouseButtonEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseLeftButtonUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventArgs.InvokeHandler(Delegate handler, Object target)
at System.Windows.RoutedEventHandlerInfo.InvokeHandler(Object target, RoutedEventArgs routedEventArgs)
at System.Windows.EventRoute.InvokeHandlersImpl(Object source, RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean reRaised)
at System.Windows.UIElement.ReRaiseEventAs(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args, RoutedEvent newEvent)
at System.Windows.UIElement.CrackMouseButtonEventAndReRaiseEvent(DependencyObject sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.UIElement.OnMouseUpThunk(Object sender, MouseButtonEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Input.MouseButtonEventArgs.InvokeEventHandler(Delegate genericHandler, Object genericTarget)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEventImpl(DependencyObject sender, RoutedEventArgs args)
at System.Windows.UIElement.RaiseEvent(RoutedEventArgs args, Boolean trusted)
at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessStagingArea()
at System.Windows.Input.InputManager.ProcessInput(InputEventArgs input)
at System.Windows.Input.InputProviderSite.ReportInput(InputReport inputReport)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.ReportInput(IntPtr hwnd, InputMode mode, Int32 timestamp, RawMouseActions actions, Int32 x, Int32 y, Int32 wheel)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndMouseInputProvider.FilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at System.Windows.Interop.HwndSource.InputFilterMessage(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter)
at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Boolean isSingleParameter, Delegate catchHandler)

----------------------------------------

A registration already exists for URI 'net.pipe://localhost/SupremacyService/Local'.

at System.ServiceModel.Channels.UriPrefixTable`1.RegisterUri(Uri uri, HostNameComparisonMode hostNameComparisonMode, TItem item)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ConnectionOrientedTransportManager`1.Register(TransportChannelListener channelListener)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.TransportManager.Open(TransportChannelListener channelListener)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.TransportManagerContainer.Open(SelectTransportManagersCallback selectTransportManagerCallback)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.TransportChannelListener.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ConnectionOrientedTransportChannelListener.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Channels.NamedPipeChannelListener`2.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)
at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ChannelDispatcher.OnOpen(TimeSpan timeout)

----------------------------------------

17 Aug 2008, 11:20

I'm certainly not an expert - or even a noob - at deciphering these error reports, but I can tell you i've not seen that one before.

...However:

Quote:
A registration already exists for URI 'net.pipe://localhost/SupremacyService/Local'.

This is saying something already exists - which sounds like another instance of the game (Or some component of it) was already open. Try logging off/restarting your computer, then try the game again. If the problem occurs again next time you try the game, it must be something else.

23 Aug 2008, 23:58
Profile WWW
Crewman

first and formost id like to say a job well done on the pre alpha start
asside from the production glitch where mass replicators are stuck on level 2
i also noticed there isnt a scrap feature for starships as well as the upgrades feature for the federation doesnt quite work either
the game seems to be coming along nicely

i do have some ideas...like a system summery page.......similar to the one botf had.....

keep up the good work u all!!!!!

16 Jan 2009, 00:05

Hi LordGoden, welcome to the forums! :)

I actually fixed the production glitch the day before yesterday, so it wil be part of the next game update. The glitch occurs because the the Grade 2 Mass Replicators are set to "upgrade" to Grade 1 Mass Replicators. Since they can't upgrade to a lower level, they get stuck.

There isn't a scrap function yet simply because Mike (The developer) hasn't programmed this feature yet. It will be in the game, but I can't say when Mike will implement it because only Mike knows. The ship upgrades don't work correctly because the ships are due for a major overhaul - I will be performing this overhaul myself...but then again I performed a buildings update for christmas so the Mass Replicator bug is actually my fault, so don't expect it to be perfect. :ahem: :lol:

Mike does plan to eventually implement a systems summary screen - in fact, someone else posted the same idea today elsewhere on the forums, and I replied to his post about an hour ago. Mike just hasn't yet decided precisely what information needs to be present on this screen, and how it should be displayed.

If you have any further ideas, please post about them. :)

16 Jan 2009, 00:14
Profile WWW
Crewman

Hello everyone, this is my first post so i'd just like to start by saying that i think supremacy looks and feels excelent.
Other than what has already been mentioned i noticed that the Baku (Minor race) don't have a planet or people. i just thought i'd say incase this was overlooked.

23 Jan 2009, 00:31
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Welcome and thanks for the feedback. MOE will get to your question soon.

@MOE, how is your computer doing?

23 Jan 2009, 03:50

Hi Kev, welcome to the forums! :)

When you say the Ba'ku lack a planet, do you mean their star system is empty or something? I can't check at the moment what the problem might be as I haven't got my computer (I'm writing this on my Wii), but i'm pretty sure their system is set correctly. Would you be able to post a screenshot of the problem for us?

There's no word on my PC yet, Kenneth. I'm not sure if The Tech Guys work weekends so if I don't hear from them today I might not get it back til Monday. They probably do work weekends though so fingers crossed.

23 Jan 2009, 10:03
Profile WWW
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Why did you send it to PC World MOE, they will only give you a royal fisting before taking even more money. My guess is dodgy PSU.

Regards Wolfe

23 Jan 2009, 11:41

I took it to PC World because A) I haven't got a clue how to fix it, B) Who else would I take it to, and C) I've got a PC performance agreement with them so they're gonna fix it for free. :mrgreen:

I had the PSU replaced only a few months ago (It basically blew up) so I doubt it's that unless they installed a dodgy one or there's something else wrong with my computer that is causing the power problems. I installed a new graphics card about a year and a half ago (Skeeter advised me on which one to buy and how to install it coz I didn't have a clue) and that's the only thing that I can think of that *might* be causing it. But I needed a new card coz I was getting green pixels all over my screen and it wasn't the drivers or the monitor coz I tested/updated them both.

That isn't the only problem I was having though; I was getting rather more familar with the blue screen of death than was normal. I checked out the error codes on Microsoft and it said the problem was either a virus (Which I knew it wasn't cox I did scans with four different antivirus and antirootkit programs) - or that my memory was dying. The error codes were 0x0000007A and 0x00000077 if they mean anything to you. I even did a total reformat to see if that would help but the first thing it did after the reformat (Which managed to complete successfully so that wasn't the cause of the problem) was crash.

I've also been having a wierd problem where the screen would just randomly turn off, with error messages such as "screen mode not supported" and "no signal". My screen would do it when I was playing games, when I was online, and when I was typing, so there was no pattern to the cause. The only way to get it to come back was to pull the plug on the computer and reboot.

Since there was just so many problems compounding on each other I decided it was time to get a professional to look at it.

23 Jan 2009, 12:32
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

Matress_of_evil wrote:
Anyways, Supremacy contains an auto-updater that runs every time you load the game. It compares the versions of your files with those on the update server - if your files are different, it will then notify you there is an update available and ask if you wish to download the update. Once the download is complete, the game will need to close so it can load the new files - but then it will automatically reload itself without you needing to do anything! Clever huh? :)

Well, yeah, but could we please have a way to turn it off? :)
I'm playing offline, and it's kind of boring having to go through all that - for nothing. It'd probably make the game load faster too, which would be a really nice thing, since it's so slow.
Anyways, just a thought.

23 Jan 2009, 13:11

There's already a new option to clear your update history etc, so check out the game options to see whether there's an auto-update off option available; Mike may have added such an option as he's already agreed to making some performance-enhancing updates like that, but I wouldn't know because I haven't allowed the game to perform an update since Christmas day as i've been working on game updates. I think Mike would prefer for it to be on by default though if it was implemented to make sure people always have the latest version of the game. He would probably need to add a warning to make sure people still allow it to run periodically or we'll have people complaining about bugs that were fixed many moons ago.

If it's not in the options though, try suggesting it to him as a feature request. :wink:

By the way, you missed out the close quote tag from your post above, making it look like a slightly confusing lump of text, so I edited it for you and added in the close quote tag. Hope you don't mind.

23 Jan 2009, 13:21
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

I have checked the options, but I may have missed it. I'll check again, thx. Anyway, maybe the game could check by default if there *is* a connection available, and if not, skip the auto-update process.

No prob, I must have missed it when typing. Thx.

23 Jan 2009, 14:00

I said that the option *might* already be there. I can't check since I haven't got access to the game at the moment. It's definitely an idea worth looking at, at the very least.

23 Jan 2009, 14:11
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

I just checked, and it is, in fact. It must have been one of the first things I disabled. :wink: I had forgotten about it. What I was actually refering to was, when ending turns, the last message you get is
Downloading an updated game state from the server...
and it's the part that takes the longest to process, a few seconds. The game would be much faster without that - it seems disabling updates doesn't disable that...

23 Jan 2009, 17:51

Oh, now I understand you...but no, that cannot be disabled because it is an important part of the way the game works. When it says "downloading from the server" it isn't referring to an online download from a server, it refers to the server part of the game - which is on your computer. The game works on a client-server basis - in fact most games do, you just aren't shown in the way Supremacy does so you don't realise. The client part of the game is all the data that players generate whilst playing a turn issuing ship orders, build orders, whatever. This data gets packaged up and sent to the game server for processing. Once complete, the server packages up the processed data and sends it to the client, which then displays the updated info as the new game turn. The game refactoring that I mentioned Mike was undertaking aims to improve how all that data is handled and processed, so less data needs to be sent to and from the server. If the server has to process less data, it should speed up the processing time. :D

23 Jan 2009, 18:29
Profile WWW
Admiral
Admiral

Oh, right, it was the *downloading* part that threw me off :wink:

23 Jan 2009, 18:41
Crewman

Matress_of_evil wrote:
Hi Kev, welcome to the forums! :)

When you say the Ba'ku lack a planet, do you mean their star system is empty or something? I can't check at the moment what the problem might be as I haven't got my computer (I'm writing this on my Wii), but i'm pretty sure their system is set correctly. Would you be able to post a screenshot of the problem for us?

Yeah When you meet them the diplomactic message appear. However they have no planets or population. But basically yes their system is empty.

28 Jan 2009, 00:56
Crewman

Sorry forgot about the screen shot.

Attachments:
Baku System.JPG
Baku System.JPG [ 78.62 KiB | Viewed 10132 times ]
28 Jan 2009, 01:06

Thanks for that screenie, Kev. I can actually see a second problem with the Ba'Ku in that image - their planet should be in the Briar Patch, not the "Ba'Ku Nebula". I'll check these problems out and let Mike know if it's a Bug.

28 Jan 2009, 01:27
Profile WWW
Crewman

I've been playin on abit and i noticed that for a short time that some ships dissappear from the build list. This is because newer ships are ready, but the upgraded station that is required to build them is not. Like the colony ship when changing from 2 to 3. during this time colonizing will not be possible unless you have some ships already built.

28 Jan 2009, 06:07
Crewman

Just found this and im pretty sure its a mistake if not its damn expensive in raw materials.

Attachments:
Heavy Cruiser 3.JPG
Heavy Cruiser 3.JPG [ 39.92 KiB | Viewed 10109 times ]
28 Jan 2009, 06:18
Crewman

And another one but this time the build cost and maintenance cost have been switched.

Attachments:
Cruiser 5.JPG
Cruiser 5.JPG [ 37.85 KiB | Viewed 10106 times ]
28 Jan 2009, 06:32

I've already fixed the Akira, but I didn't know about the Intrepid. Thanks for that, Kev.

28 Jan 2009, 09:49
Profile WWW
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Oh i don't know,

Voyager was full of a bunch of whining, preening, self-obsessed leeches who were high maintanence ;)

Regards Wolfe

28 Jan 2009, 11:05

But they were oh so worth it. :lol:

28 Jan 2009, 11:19
Profile WWW
Crewman

cdrwolfe wrote:
Voyager was full of a bunch of whining, preening, self-obsessed leeches who were high maintanence ;)

I would agree.

After finding a few more i decided to have a look at the file techobjectdatabase and found about 5 more minor things, i corrected these in my game (I hope you guys don't mind) and i will send you a copy of this file.
There was one that i don't know how to fix that is when all research is done for feds they should be at level 12 but mine is only registering at level 11. i still don't know why.

29 Jan 2009, 05:39
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]