View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 Sep 2024, 06:29

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Netbook resolution 
Crewman

BOTF is my all-time favourite from the beginning. Love to carry my empires on my netbook with swivel tablet screen. Unfortunately netbook's display supports 800x600 and 1024x600 resolutions only. Works pefectly for BOTF, but Supremacy's interface is out of the edge... Is it possible to have interface of Supremacy working low-res?

19 Feb 2009, 20:16
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

as far as I know, resolutions below 1024x768 are not supported, sorry.

19 Feb 2009, 20:22
Profile WWW
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Hi imzadi, welcome to the forums! :)

As Mal said, resolutions below 1024x768 are not supported; this is because the interface is designed to be extensible, allowing the interface to be stretched out, filled, and sharpened as the resolution increases. Due to the way it is programmed, the game counter-intuitively looks better on extremely high resolutions, even though it is technically stretching everything out.

As there is so much information presented on the screen though, there just isn't enough room for everything to be displayed on resolutions lower than 1024x768, which is why anything lower isn't supported.

However, there is a very small light at the end of the tunnel. To improve performance on lower-end computers, Mike has plans to implement some new graphics options in the options menu; these include things like turning off the planet animations. I'm not sure what the full list of options will be, but there *may* be options to turn some of the game information off - so if there is, you *may* be able to squeeze the game onto a smaller interface. These new options will be implemented in the next update, although I don't know when that will be as Mike is working on refactoring the entire game code in a bid to both improve game performance and to fix some annoying bugs.

20 Feb 2009, 19:21
Profile WWW
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

having the game run on those popular netbooks would be a fine thing. You could play a match of supremacy while on the train or attending lectures ;). An experienced player should not need to read the actual text to play the game but do it "by-heart" and via symbols. Maybe one could trim the game so the in-game text would be completely "neglectable". Could be difficult though..

20 Feb 2009, 20:07
Profile WWW
Crewman

Thank you for your reply. I would gladly sacrifice any decoration if only such "light" mode would supply all the information required for effective play. I would like to submit this problem to game designer. Few-inch netbooks and tablets are becoming more and more popular recently and these support usually 600 lines. It is actually great fun to play TBS with such device - you can take it anywhere and launch your empire even if you have only few minutes free.

20 Feb 2009, 20:54

Well it's definitely a point that is worth considering. I'll PM Mike about this and see what his thoughts are.

21 Feb 2009, 12:53
Profile WWW
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Netbooks really aren't designed to be gaming machines. While Supremacy can run on relatively modest hardware, the screen resolution requirements are pretty fixed at this point. At present, the lowest resolutions supported are 1024x768 and 1280x720. I might consider adding a special start-up switch to run the game with a simpler (more compact) UI if there's a lot of demand for it, but it probably won't happen until much later in development.

Matress can show you how to post a feature request in the CodePlex Issue Tracker. People can vote on features they want to see implemented.

21 Feb 2009, 14:53
Profile WWW
Crewman

Thanks for reply again. While netbooks' designers probably didn't think about gaming, games on Intel Atom work pretty well. From the Trek world "Elite Force II" plays smoothly and looks really good. Not to mention BOTF - I especially recommend you tablet mode with stylus - it really feels that fate of entire galaxy lays in your hands :)

21 Feb 2009, 19:23

Err...isn't Codeplex invite-only Mike?

Tell you what, i'll make a poll for people to vote in on the forums.

21 Feb 2009, 23:27
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]