View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Sep 2024, 18:36

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Editor?? Like Ultimate Editor? 
Crewman

Hi!

I want to change the stat of ships and structures to suit my own taste. How? Is there an editor for Supremacy?

Thanks a lot!

PS: Supremacy is a really good game! Keep it going! :)

01 Nov 2009, 08:13
Admiral
Admiral

The May update changed a few things, and the editor no longer works with it. Hopefully the next update will have a working editor.
Meanwhile, try editing the files by hand (edit the source code of the XMLs). Most stuff should not break the game. :wink:
You can also change some of the galaxy definitions in some text files, namely UniverseTables.txt.

01 Nov 2009, 14:07
Crewman

I figured out that I can edit xmls via using the Excel. It is not enough. How I can edit those xmls FULLY? In addition, I can't find xmls related to structures and ships. Where?

Thank you so much!

01 Nov 2009, 21:14
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

Use notepad++, it's great for XML editing.

01 Nov 2009, 21:26
Profile YIM WWW
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Sorry for my slow reply, I normally pounce on threads like this. Welcome to the forums by the way. :smile:

I always use Notepad to edit xml files. You can find the references to the structures and ships in your Supremacy\Resources\Data folder - look for a file called TechObjectsDatabase.xml. Alternatively if you want to change the descriptions of the ships or structures, load up the file called TextDatabase.xml.

Editing the file can be tricky because you've got to ensure you maintain the layout and code within the file. Changing things around may prevent the game from working, so before you make any edits BACKUP THE FILE(S) YOU WANT TO CHANGE FIRST.

The text entries for each structure continues without any breaks, so it can be hard to identify individual structures in the files. The easiest way to find stuff is to use the search function, which is Ctrl+F. Enter the name of a structure, for instance starfleet_intelligence to find the code entry for the building.

I would also recommend that when you start making changes, you start off changing small things, such as the existing build costs of a structure. Here's an example of the code for Starfleet Intelligence:

Code:
    <Building Key="FED_STARFLEET_INTELLIGENCE">
      <TechRequirements>
        <BioTech>3</BioTech>
        <Energy>3</Energy>
        <Computers>3</Computers>
        <Propulsion>3</Propulsion>
        <Construction>3</Construction>
        <Weapons>3</Weapons>
      </TechRequirements>
      <BuildCost>3950</BuildCost>
      <IsUniversallyAvailable>false</IsUniversallyAvailable>
      <EnergyCost>60</EnergyCost>
      <Restrictions>
        <Restriction>OnePerSystem</Restriction>
        <Restriction>HomeSystem</Restriction>
        <Restriction>OnePerEmpire</Restriction>
      </Restrictions>
      <Bonuses>
        <Bonus Type="PercentInternalSecurity" Amount="15" />
      </Bonuses>
    </Building>

As long as you read the entire entry before you start reading it, you should be able to identify what the different bits of code mean. For instance, if you want to change the build cost of the structure, just change the number that appears within the Build Cost tags.

One thing you should be aware of is that if you make changes to the files, the games auto-updater will attempt to undo any changes you make; it incorrectly identifies mods as "outdated" files, so the next time you load up the game you will be told that an update is available. Do not allow the update to continue or your modifications will be lost. You can turn off the auto-update in the game options, but this will also stop you from checking for legitimate updates.

If you decide to try multiplayer, you should also be aware that the game won't work correctly if you have different files to those you play against. Make sure you send a copy of your own files to your friends or revert to the original files before you start a multiplayer session.

As .Iceman said the May update stopped the editor working which is why it doesn't currently have one. We're hping the next update will bring it back. If it does, you won't need to bother with text editors. Until then though, you'll have to continue editing it manually.

Have fun. :smile:

02 Nov 2009, 01:52
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]