View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Sep 2024, 04:38

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Minor Races idea 
Starfleet Ambassador to the French Peoples

In the episode of TNG "Code of Honor" there might be a minor race to add:

The Ligonians are the humanoid inhabitants of the planet Ligon II. Although they possess transporter technology, they are extremely antiquated in other ways and are not as technologically advanced as the Federation. They have a highly structured society and are an extremely proud race. They value their honor above all else, and as such live by strict codes of honor.
In 2364, Ligon II had a vaccine to cure Anchilles fever, which the population of Federation planet Styris IV was suffering from. The USS Enterprise-D was sent Ligon II to negotiate with Lutan, leader of the Ligonians, to acquire the vaccine. (TNG: "Code of Honor")

Choice Structures:

Vaccine Laboratory ------>"5% Pop. Health"

Fighting ring ------>"20% Ground Combat"

Fighting ring consisting of different levels of steps, lights and metal rods could be installed in the middle of the Centerplace. Yareena, Lutan's first one, fought Natasha Yar on this structure in a fight to the death. Several seats were arranged around the fighting range for spectators to attend the ceremony. (TNG: "Code of Honor")

29 Aug 2009, 21:38
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
I remember those guys. They would make an interesting minor race.
:bolian:

One problems is we have already developed a long list of minor races and given them emblems, ships and other attributes as needed. Going back to add in more could slow us down.
:borg:

29 Aug 2009, 23:13
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

I discussed the Ligonians with Starfleet on MSN last night. I've sent Dafedz a PM about this, although he hasn't replied to my PM's for a month or two now. Since the Ligonians are a relatively backward race, we don't need to give them ships, so that's one less bit of work to do. All we need is a race image - and one is available on Memory Alpha - and image(s) for their structures. I'll also have to ask Zeleni to create an additional Insignia for them. Text isn't a problem because they have a Memory Alpha entry already, so it's really just a case of adding the info to the game, and I can easily do that myself. I'm doing similar stuff for the other minors already anyways, in fact i've got a big list of stuff that I need to fix once the editor is working again.

I'd rather not do this until Dafedz sends me a reply though. Dafedz worked out the database and i'd like to know if there is a specific reason why he rejected this race or whether he simply overlooked them. I'll admit that they aren't a race that I recognise so i'm guessing that I missed this episode.

29 Aug 2009, 23:40
Profile WWW
Supreme Architect
Supreme Architect

The Ligonians plus others have been discussed lately, between myself and Moe at least. This was the jist of it:

Quote:
Sent: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:55 pm
by Matress_of_evil
Hey Dafedz, a forum member just contacted me about a canon minor race that aren't in any of our databases but might be worth adding to the game: the Ligonians.

They are a TNG race and have a page on memory Alpha. They were a technologically backward race but had Transporter tech. They also had a vaccine for Antilles Fever that the Enterprise had to negotiate for. They could therefore have a tranporter-based bonus. (Construction? Trasnports?) or a Medical bonus.

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Ligonian

Quote:
Sent: Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:59 pm
by dafedz
Hmm, the Ligonians, I do remember them, and they were from a bit of a naff episode as I recall. Every single race that exists in Trek was considered and pondered during the selection process for the database. This one was never really mooted, but as you point out there is one possibility; one worthwhile resource that the Ligonians might offer, and that's Population Health.

In fact that might well be cool. As I recall there are no +%Population Health minor race structures in the game, even though there are a number of races that are renowned for their medical expertise. Might this be considered a possible change of direction for the value of their existing structures? I'd be willing to sift through and perhaps 'add' another structure for the Denobulans for instance, that would grant them a bonus for Pop health... What do you think?

As it stands there are only a few races that remain outstanding on the periphery of the existing list, the only one (now other than the Ligonians) that I have lately strongly considered is the Valerians: http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Valerian

Quote:
Sent: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:02 pm
by Matress_of_evil
If you decide to add any races or structures, just let me know about it. Population health could certainly be an interesting bonus, although i'm not so sure players would appreciate how useful this bonus would be because improved health means less disease - so the bonus actually leads to a lack of events, rather than boosting something, if you get what I mean.

The Denobulans would definitely be the best race that I can think of for this. Come to think of it, what do you think about the Vidiians because of the Phage?

The Valerians I suppose could be a race to consider. They could be a smuggling or mining race because of their Dolamide shipments. Alternatively you could give them a weapons bonus for the same reason. (When refined, Dolamide can be used to make explosives) The problem with them is that only one of their species has been seen, and Memory Alpha's image isn't exactly high resolution. In fact, the image isn't a direct image, it's an image of a communication with one. Perhaps having them in is just a bit too tenous.

Anyways, you make the decision. If you add them or any other races or structures in, just let me know and i'll add them to my to-do list. As I said in my last PM, the Supremacy editor is currently broken so i've resorted to compiling a list of the changes that I need to make once the editor is working again. I've posted it on the forums before, but i'm constantly having to add things so i've attached my latest copy for you. Chances are it'll be outdated by the time you read this though lol.

Quote:
Sent: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:14 pm
by dafedz

Quote:
Population health could certainly be an interesting bonus, although i'm not so sure players would appreciate how useful this bonus would be because improved health means less disease - so the bonus actually leads to a lack of events, rather than boosting something, if you get what I mean.

I'm still thinking on this matter. The way I see it, Population Health as an effect doesn't mitigate disease or other health crises, it merely resists it, in that, say 1% Population Health means 1% of those the AI chooses to afflict with a random health event (or a bombardment) will be spared.

Of course 100% means everyone lives, but 100% will be impossible to get. I'd imagine most minor race Pop. health structures (and those for the empires - and hospital ships) will range between 5% and 20%.

This is basically it. As it stands the Ligonians are in - and thanks for brining it up starfleet. They will receive a Population Health structure. But at the moment I'm in the midst of a complete overhaul of the minor races and their structure - due mainly to the addition of the 3 new reaearch tech fields. So there will be a number of new structures for various races involving Sociology research, Economics, and Planetary science. And with such a radical restructuring there may well be a few new races too.

13 Nov 2009, 01:18
Profile WWW

dafedz wrote:
I'd imagine most minor race Pop. health structures (and those for the empires - and hospital ships) will range between 5% and 20%.

The Malcorians have a Medical Emergency Service in the TNG episode "First Contact" (Riker is injured, and being treated at a hospital on an alien planet).

The Quarrens have the Quarren Ministry of Health on the planet Quarra in the VOYAGER episodes "Workforce" & "Workforce Part II"

The Trill have the Symbiosis Commission on their planet Trill.

13 Nov 2009, 11:35
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Ligonians have canon logo and i didt one year ago so regarding emblem everything is ok.

There is one race which is in my opinion one of the most fascinating and unique races in trek world and it's not in our database.Actually race's name was never spoken in the show but was mentioned in the script "Palau" (voy:Night)

Memory alpha:

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Night_Alien

What is interesting about Palau is that they have evolved in The Void. The Void covers an enormous region of space several hundred light years across, and over 2,000 light years deep, containing no stars and a form of radiation that prevented light from stars outside the region from being seen from within the Void. They posses very strong ships which helped voyager to destroy a malon gabage scow. i don't know if we can implement star system in empty star sector or in sector with neutron star but it would be cool to have such race which is hard to find on galactic map. Without resources they have evolved in spacefaring civilization so they should have wide types of bonuses for construction, energy and food. What do you think?

13 Nov 2009, 12:13

To have the Void aliens in the game, we would need to make a number of non-canon concessions. First off, we would be giving them the name, even though it was never mentioned in dialogue as you say. Second, we would need to create a specific star system for them to live in, even though we know there is nothing in the Void. And third we would need to come up with special structures and buildings for them, and yet we have no evidence of them having (Native) technology of any kind.

They were probably originally rejected from being in the game for these reasons. Still, if we're re-evaluating the "missing" races, then there's no harm in discussing them. We could perhaps give them a single planet inside a Nebula (Just like the Dominion have), although I don't believe we can choose the colour of the Nebula or I would make it a dark, black one.

13 Nov 2009, 12:56
Profile WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

Yeah it would be cool to have dark nebula and aliens in it :winkthumb:

13 Nov 2009, 14:14
Supreme Architect
Supreme Architect

Interesting idea I suppose, if it can be done.

The Night Aliens fell into that awkward zone of being worthy additions, but frustratingly lacked that critical thing -- a home system, as has been said. I'd even happily have accepted the race name from the script.

They are similar to various other races that fell into the same category, such as were discounted straight away due to having no actual planetary system, such as, for example: These guys, the aliens from "TNG: Allegiance", and the solanogen dudes from "Schisms". Both have interesting underlying properties, and are possible game candidates, were it not for their lack of home system, or even a canon race name.

14 Nov 2009, 00:28
Profile WWW
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

But how do we know that there is no planet in "The Void", Voyager was supposed to travel for two more years to get out of it, how do we know they woudn't encounter their home planet in that time.
I agree a system with black nebula and a single planet.

About the Solanogen aliens, what if we make them a random event?

15 Nov 2009, 11:23
Profile YIM WWW
Aesthetics Surgeon
Aesthetics Surgeon

As i remember janeway speculated that night beings must be from some kind of rouge planet, well there is no evidence how much of rough planets there was.

15 Nov 2009, 11:35

Is it possible for a nebula to cover few sectors and not just one?

15 Nov 2009, 15:08
Profile YIM WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]