View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 29 Sep 2024, 03:29

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Supremacy at Las Vegas Star Trek Con 
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Not trying to steal any of god's own thunder here but did want to save Mike some time explaining. (He can clear up the detail later.)

Mike and I will be going to the Las Vegas Star Trek convention in August. link If any one is interesting in attending we will be working at the computer game booth in the vendor area. We are working as vender's but that is OK with me. We do not want to stand in line for an autographs as in Galaxy Quest anyway. I do want to meet and talk with people in the gaming business. That will be at the booth and not at the costume contest anyway. We get admission and vendor bags for working the booth. Mike is looking into giving a talk about BOTF and the long road to Supremacy. Miss that, I do not want. We hope the new Star Trek Experience is open by then. I want to have some Romulan Ale with Mike at Quark's.

What does this mean for the game? Mike will be working hard to make Supremacy a more beta playable game by August 5th. He will work on things like diplomacy, intel and maybe even a combat system without the 3D show. AI is on hold as we will match up multiple players testing the game at our booth.

Mike also wants to give a talk at Dragon*Con in Atlanta come September. This is local for Mike.

PS:
The company that puts on these conventions for Star Trek, Twilight and Mike knows what else charge a rich price for admission. You can get the gold package to attend all events through all four days for only 700 dollars. A single day or individual events would be a cheaper way to go if you did not already spend as much getting there and finding a room.
:borg:

13 Jan 2010, 21:57
Crazed Emissary of the Photoshop

I wish I could be there.

13 Jan 2010, 22:00
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

I do as well.

13 Jan 2010, 22:01
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

Same here. Oh well.

Have you guys thought about recording it? We could post it on the forums or in the news, and I bet the Hailing Frequencies podcast would be interested in hosting it well. It would definitely bring some traffic to the forums and game.

Come to think of it, does Hailing Frequencies still run? I've been boycotting them since that K'sui'nindra woman spun her lies about the death of Nemitor's Allegiance project last year or the year before. She never did respond to my complaint.

13 Jan 2010, 22:17
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Good idea and I will try to let Hailing Frequencies know. Why not come up with a list of stupid questions so I can interview Mike. They do not allow photography, they like to charge for that too, but we might be able to do audio. I will find out.

13 Jan 2010, 22:28
Combat Engineer
Combat Engineer

Awww why do i have to be dirt poor :(, anyway good luck and have fun, I'll root for you over this side of the pond.

Regards Wolfe

16 Jan 2010, 17:39
Cadet
Cadet

Matress_of_evil wrote:
Come to think of it, does Hailing Frequencies still run? I've been boycotting them since that K'sui'nindra woman spun her lies about the death of Nemitor's Allegiance project last year or the year before. She never did respond to my complaint.

Huh? Please drop me a PM and explain.....

Thanks

23 Jan 2010, 15:21
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Jean has been in talks with Creations Entertainment, the company behind the Vegas Star Trek Convention, and CBS regarding our booth at the convention and the panel talk about fan games. Thing appear to be going well so far. I hope this will amount to recognition and at least tacit approval of our game. CBS will be looking at us so do try to behave for a while Matress.

17 Feb 2010, 16:01

Behave? Since when have I done anything naughty? I'm a Matress_of_evil, not a Matress_of_naughty. :razz:

17 Feb 2010, 16:13
Profile WWW

What do you mean looking at us? At the convention at you, or on the forums at us? :scared:

17 Feb 2010, 18:10
Profile YIM WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

This is one of the key location that will come up when they Google 'Star Trek Supremacy.' This is an open public forum. Do not worry. If we all keep an eye on Matress it should be OK.

17 Feb 2010, 19:48

But what can they do to help or stop the project?

17 Feb 2010, 20:22
Profile YIM WWW

You keep talking about me...what have I done?! WHAT HAVE I DOOOOOOOONNNE? :waaah:

17 Feb 2010, 20:53
Profile WWW
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

CBS Paramount owns the writes to Star Trek. They have given tacit permission to nearly all fan, not for profit, project. If, however, they chose to objected to our project they could, as a first step, require their business partner, Creations Entertainment, refuse us a venue at the Vegas convention. The worst case scenario would begin with their legal department seeking to shut us down and threaten us individually. We hope that past behavior holds true and so far it has.

So keep a close eye on matress. He is evil.

17 Feb 2010, 20:58
8 of 9, Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 001

Oh come now. Like he said, he is a Matress_of_EVIL. Evil people aren't naughty. Just... evil. And besides, if CBS decides to shut Supremacy down, then we can pout at them insanely, or assimilate them. In conclusion, it is safe to say that Matress is safe. So yeah, I think it will all go over smoothly. :borg:

May... now with expectedly warm weather!

17 Feb 2010, 21:27

Woo! Matress is safe! :mrgreen:

17 Feb 2010, 21:29
Profile WWW
Captain
Captain

Road trip!

(only if tickets come down 90%. There's no way in hell I'm paying 700 bucks just for admittance to a con.)

17 Feb 2010, 22:10

I know what you mean... I wish I could be there, I wonder... what day is Supremacy presenting? Maybe I could get a one-day ticket, should be much less expensive... :borg:

May... now with expectedly warm weather!

17 Feb 2010, 22:20
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Yes, that would be less expensive. Then you could just hang with the guys at the booth and play Supremacy.

In any event CBS Paramount really has been accommodating to the die hard fans. They do not want to be seen as pushing the devoted fan base around. As long as we do not have any income and Matress is a good boy we should be OK.

When it came time to make the new film Paramount went with Hollywood OS to cast background and not Central Casting. The difference in how they list jobs made it a lot easier for fans to work background. In the extra video content found on the two and three DVD sets for the new film you can see how JJ Abrams and his assistant director met with the background. JJ welcomed the background actors and invited them to ask questions. That is very much not the case on most Hollywood film project. Background and the assistant directors normally have a hostile relationship if they have a relationship at all and you never talk to the Director unless he is upset at something you did.

So I really have respect for how CBS Paramount and specially JJ have treated the fans.

17 Feb 2010, 22:34
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Contest for tickets here.

19 Feb 2010, 02:45
Crewman

I just joined the forum after downloading and sampling Supremacy and I must say that you've outdone yourselves. I've played BotF for years, and have always hoped for a sequel. I would say this game looks as though it will offer everything a fan could hope for in a Star Trek game. Thank you for your hard work...Q'Plah

07 Mar 2010, 01:04
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Welcome atopper88
Thanks for the kind words on behalf of all those
that work so hard. We are glad you found us.

07 Mar 2010, 04:19
Crewman

i have recently downloaded a sample of surpremacy and having birth of the federation in my collection for many years and being a keen player of this game i want to say that your recent work on BOTF2 is excellent!! i look forward to this sequel being completed, well done to all your hard work on this project.

15 Mar 2010, 23:42
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Welcome BRIANBERU and thanks for the encouragement. We keep plugging away.

16 Mar 2010, 01:08
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
Hey Kenneth, is the Supremacy at Las Vegas thing still on? Bashir

22 May 2010, 23:36
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Thanks for asking, here is an update:

CBS took a look at Mike's idea about presenting a talk on development of a fan based game. Though they are willing to leave fan projects alone as long as we do not make money this apparently was stepping over the line for them. The way Jean presented it got all mixed up with the booth. I do not know all the details of what Jean pitched but here is my understanding. Jean’s plan was to pay the thousand-dollar fee for the booth by charging people to play the game. That right there has the whole making money off CBS’s Star Trek brand issue. Also the issue of charging fans to play a free game. It may have messed up the talk in the process.

I am talking to Mike about trying again for 2011. Think how different our situation will by August 2011 with a working multi-player online. I suggest we only ask for the talk this time. If it comes form Mike or me with out the booth they might look at it anew. We might be able to sell it, as we would not charge for the talk. Their partner, the convention company, could make money on it as they do with every Star Trek convention. I would guess CBS gets a cut.

Mike and I were willing to go at our own expense on the hope of advertising the game. It would be fun to do a power point presentation showing what the art department has done here. You guys have a lot to be proud off. Mike has a full talk in itself on his side. We will keep trying. Never give up, never surrender - Dream on. The Banner is ready to go.

23 May 2010, 01:43
Starfleet Ambassador to the French Peoples
Starfleet Ambassador to the French Peoples

Long live to Supremacy :bolian: :winkthumb:

23 May 2010, 02:39

This is why I hate big companies, they think everyone acts solely to make profit, and they are so afraid that someone could earn a couple of bucks, just to cover his expenses on their product that they are willing to just ingnore the ones that are keeping Star Trek alive.

They are just a bunch of Ferengies...........

:ferengi:

ah, where is a Ferengi emoticon when you need it.

23 May 2010, 09:59
Profile YIM WWW
Ensign
Ensign

dont need them, they'll be charging you just for you to insert their emoticon!
:mrgreen:

23 May 2010, 11:47

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
Thanks Kenneth - Nice update. I mostly loved the fact that showing off this game in August, put us on a deadline. Get er done, Get er done... Impatient Bashir

24 May 2010, 03:03
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next