View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 22:03

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Where can I get the source code 
Crewman

Trouble finding it, won't mind fixing a few things and was thinking of tying in BOTE's AI system to this and seeing how it runs.

26 Apr 2012, 23:19
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Location: Space is disease and danger, wrapped in darkness and silence!
Let me see if I can find that link for you when I get home later today.
:borg:

27 Apr 2012, 00:52
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Try this and let me know if you got what you want.

http://supremacy.codeplex.com/

27 Apr 2012, 02:44
Crewman

Got it thanks,

Hmm seems a while since anyone has done an update.

27 Apr 2012, 12:10
Genetically Altered Manual Labourer

Location: Passed out on the floor after math mistake discovered by Hawking
If you are a programmer, Mike has said he would be willing to help get someone up to speed on the latest code. If you were to take this further, you would be VERY popular around here.

27 Apr 2012, 13:57
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Make it so number one.

27 Apr 2012, 14:02

Yeah, you'd be "Number One" :clap:

27 Apr 2012, 14:09
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

If you take over coding you would be The One.

It is possible for someone with the right skills needed to do just that. Mike has done some amazing work. He does not want to just let the project die but does not have the time to finish it at this point.

If you improve your skills to do it you would be doing as I have. I learned 3D graphics in order to contributing to the game. Even if the game were to fold I walk away with a new skill and a number of good friends.

27 Apr 2012, 19:23
Crewman

http://www.startreksupremacy.com/download.html
this is 20090520 build

27 Apr 2012, 20:46
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

You could also PM Mike about what he has been working on since the last public release. There have been some staff demo builds to try out some cool new features.

27 Apr 2012, 21:00
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

Supremacy is now hosted on BitBucket; the CodePlex code is out of date. You can find it here:
https://bitbucket.org/mstrobel/supremacy.

28 Apr 2012, 02:32
Profile WWW
Crewman

Yea I was playing BOTE the other day and I thought wow what a great game, and then I was thinking if only it was like BOTF.

Then I found out about supremacy and I though OMG, happy days!!!! But then I realise the AI wasn't working :-( so I though Screw it i'll write it myself so I can play it :-)

Downloading the source code now, prob take me about a week to understand it all, and I was hoping BOTE is well coded and I can take the AI code and put it into Supremacy, and tweak it abit, and fix a few issues I've notice whilst I was playing. Enough to have a competative game.

28 Apr 2012, 12:27
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Thanks for the location of the updated code Mike and sorry I linked to the old site.

It would be wonderful if you could create an AI cabbage. Mike was still working on some features the AI would have to control so you might want to get them running in at least a rudimentary way first.

28 Apr 2012, 13:45
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm no programmer but I read some BotE-code (and mostly didn't understood anything). On the other hand I could request a BotE-Programmer ... maybe helpful

28 Apr 2012, 14:02
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

cabbages wrote:
prob take me about a week to understand it all

Oh, that was a good laugh. :mrgreen:

I wouldn't count on the BOTE code being directly compatible--the games are architected very differently, but you're welcome to give it a go. Feel free to contact me on gchat if you have questions (mike dot strobel at the gmails).

28 Apr 2012, 14:43
Profile WWW

Cool!
Thanks Mike for the updated code location.
Cabbages, you've got to be SOME programmer to understand it in a week! Might take a week and a half. :razz:

28 Apr 2012, 14:47
Crewman

Yea, the game seems more complicated than i though.

Application seems to be the main class? and the app is broken down into 10 Components?

Any chances you can give me a quick description on what they do and how they interact with each other? Or even better, do you have a class diagram?

I mainly want to concentrate on the AI so I can play them game, do you know what needs doing?

28 Apr 2012, 15:05

Mike has previously commented that he wasn't going to work on the AI until all the basic components of the program were done. That way he would know how the AI has to interact with everything. The plan for Supremacy involves some differences (Improvements) from the original game.

28 Apr 2012, 15:18
Crewman

Hmm, ok.

That seems sensible, Is there a bucket list of all the things that needs to be fixed?

I can work on the the AI on the side and when Mike submits more fixes to the the game,l I'll update the AI to conpensate to the changes. At least I have something to play in the mean time :razz:

28 Apr 2012, 15:25
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

cabbages wrote:
Yea, the game seems more complicated than i though.
Yep. There's a reason this project has been going on for years, and it's not (only) because we spend our time farting around ;).

cabbages wrote:
Application seems to be the main class? and the app is broken down into 10 Components?
There really isn't a main class, though that may be the entry point (where the Main method resides)--I really don't remember. Supremacy.Game.GameEngine is where you'll find most of the game logic. That's where most of the turn processing happens.

cabbages wrote:
Any chances you can give me a quick description on what they do and how they interact with each other? Or even better, do you have a class diagram?
The class diagram would be huge, and I do mean huge. You can always ask Visual Studio to generate one for you. The SupremacyCore project is where you'll find the foundation of the game. SupremacyService is just the game server (all the important bits it interacts with are in SupremacyCore). SupremacyClientComponents is UI infrastructure. SupremacyUI and SupremacyWPF are older UI infrastructure stuff, much of which has been phased out and replaced by newer and better stuff in SupremacyClientComponents. The most interesting stuff in SupremacyUI is GalaxyGridPanel, which draws the galactic map. It also has the spinning planet views. Supremacy.Xna is where the XNA/3D stuff is located--it's not used heavily yet, but it has some effects for the invasion screen, a newer star renderer, a 3D spinning ship renderer, etc. Supremacy.Scripting is an expression language parser/compiler. SupremacyClient is the main graphical client and has most of the game screen implementations.

cabbages wrote:
I mainly want to concentrate on the AI so I can play them game, do you know what needs doing?
The AI architecture is still up in the air, so there's not really any hooks or framework in place to build on.

28 Apr 2012, 15:28
Profile WWW
Crewman

What version of .net are you using, are you using any other libraries?

I've got 3 errors when I tried to build the code.

Error 7 Argument 1: cannot convert from 'lambda expression' to 'System.Action' C:\Users\Cabbage\Desktop\BOTF Code\mstrobel-supremacy-0739d89b8709\Mainline\SupremacyService\SupremacyService.cs 546 25 SupremacyService
Error 8 Delegate 'System.Action' does not take 1 arguments C:\Users\Cabbage\Desktop\BOTF Code\mstrobel-supremacy-0739d89b8709\Mainline\SupremacyService\SupremacyService.cs 1436 21 SupremacyService
Error 6 The best overloaded method match for 'System.Threading.Tasks.TaskEx.Run(System.Action)' has some invalid arguments C:\Users\Cabbage\Desktop\BOTF Code\mstrobel-supremacy-0739d89b8709\Mainline\SupremacyService\SupremacyService.cs 545 36 SupremacyService

28 Apr 2012, 23:18
Chief Software Engineer
Chief Software Engineer

It should build in VS2010 with .NET 4.0. You may need the C# Async CTP.

29 Apr 2012, 16:16
Profile WWW
Crewman

10 days since a post come on this is the most exciting section of the forum right here. ^_^

09 May 2012, 10:52

If you want to be remembered by people (fans) all over the world, help finish this program.

09 May 2012, 17:32
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

It was wonderful that Mike made the coding so sophisticated. In the end though it may be what is keeping everyone else from fishing his work. It could be just too complicated to figure out. We could be resting on a half finished F22 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-22_Raptor when what we need right now is a Cessna 172. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cessna_172

11 May 2012, 00:45
Admiral
Admiral

Is it really absolutely necessary to keep at this?
Mike is doing what he can, he's not dead or anything. I suggest people respect him a little more by not acting as such.
Meanwhile, let's each of us do our jobs, instead of making this kind of conversation in the public forums. It's not like our parts in the process are finished and ready to ship, are they?

11 May 2012, 10:09
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

Yes, we do need to talk about it. Mike told us he does not have time in his life to give much more to the coding. We, Mike and the rest of us, are looking for someone to take over the job. Someone that can code and someone willing to work with all of us. Sorry you were not there for the skype converstion.

11 May 2012, 14:06
Admiral
Admiral

I talked to Mike afterwards.
My point is, do you really think the way things are being talked about here is helping anything? From where I stand, it looks like a couple of people desperate to get a replacement "number One" :rolleyes:
People that could actually help might get cautious if they smell desperation. Which is not the global perception of the team, for the record.

I'm just saying let's keep the girly enthusiams to oneselves, and not give the impression it's a global and agreed upon feeling.

This is a long-term project, like we've always known it would be. Mike doesn't have the time to fully commit, but just last week he fixed the X-Ray Pulsar bug. So he's doing things as time permits. If he doesn't have the time to code, he won't have the time to groom someone to take over. For someone else to help with coding, it takes time. So let's be careful about this.

11 May 2012, 14:37
Ship Engineer
Ship Engineer

“Girly” is a good point. It has often been noted that females, with a growing presence in the work force, have a greater capacity for cooperative team work based on mutual respect and encouragement. Not to say males cannot work as a team but more often with males one or more will try to become the alpha by bullying through blunt rude insulting and intimidating behavior. Females are more likely to admit their mistakes, making apology when they cause insult and less likely to shout down variant opinions.

I admire and respect the talent and tenacity to learn among my friends on staff here. Mike, Like Whitehorn, Captain B, Happytrek, vjeko1701, Blaze, Matress and all the rest have been diplomatic in their constructive criticism. They have shown encouragement to a fault. That mutual support keeps us coming back. This was the way we treated Mike when he joined the team back in the day. We were desperate without a coder and that did not drive him off.

Yes, I really think the way things are being talked about here will help. Call it girly enthusiasm if you want to belittle it. I say we need more of it. It is all that will to keep this project going.

11 May 2012, 18:43

Mike, if you're reading this, "Number One" is second in command in Star Trek, and Ken and I were fully mindful of that with our posts. You indicated you would like some help and we were excited that some might be on the way.

11 May 2012, 21:08
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next