View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 28 Sep 2024, 19:17

Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next
 The ships, battles and weapons thread 
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Well, from the starting distances we'll have now, every shot will be a shot off the bow... :lol: :lol:

A warning shot would be simply be esthetic... And nice... :)
I like it, even if it serves no purpose... :D

02 Mar 2005, 18:32
Evil Romulan Overlord of Evil - Now 100% Faster!

'Lieutenant, fire a warning shot across their bow'
'Aye, sir'

'Captain, they're firing at us!'
'Battlestations! Target their Warp Core, destroy them!'

'Arggh!'

:lol: I suppose it would add a bit of fun to the game. perhaps less agressive races would be intimidated by this, and would be more likely to hail if you did this?

02 Mar 2005, 22:02
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

I'm gonna give you my scenario, Matress :lol:

Good idea, pacificating agressive natives.

Sir, I am detecting radiation 20,000 km of our port bow. Clearing... Romulan warbird, D'Deridex class, RNS Tomok. She's listed in our files.

The Federation scum has not idea we're here. MUHAHAHA!

Let's fire a shot to scare them off. FIRE!

We caught radiation from their torpedo. It destabilised our crapy power core! It'll breach in 20 second.
Oh well, more then most Romulan ships on screen...

:lol:

02 Mar 2005, 22:10
Crewman

u guys are just trying to hurt my feelings arent u

k.. heres MY scenario..
an alien species comes into YOUR territory... and your playing some very very aggressive race.. like.. umm the federation.. lol... so you could hail.. but if u wanna shoo them off by shotting 1 off the port bow

its an option

btw.. do we see cloaked ships ? like in botf .. we could see a vague shape of a cloaked ship...

W/ fire and steel did the gods forge the klingon heart, so fiercely did it beat, so loud was the sound that the gods cried out on this day we have brought forth the strongest heart in all the heavens. None can stand b4 it without trembling at its strength

02 Mar 2005, 22:19

Ok, ragez0r, for the billionth (Or possibly second) time, we aren't trying to gang up on you or anything! I like the idea!

I don't absolutely 100% know what you will see of cloaked ships. The only person who you can ask and will definitely know is jigalypuff. Send him a PM, he'll let you know. (He's the guy who is doing about 90% of the graphics and interfaces for the game)

Actually, when he replies, let us know as well. :wink:

02 Mar 2005, 22:40
Profile WWW
Crewman

well.. he should be reading here no ?? ill pm him....BULLYS

W/ fire and steel did the gods forge the klingon heart, so fiercely did it beat, so loud was the sound that the gods cried out on this day we have brought forth the strongest heart in all the heavens. None can stand b4 it without trembling at its strength

03 Mar 2005, 09:04
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Actually we need lots of people that are prepared to create, ships, interfaces, ingame texts, and more.. After the game is released, and the Federation module with it, which is being created by jig. Because we need modules for all playable races!! 8O :D :D

Q: The trial never ended. We never reached a verdict. But now we have. You're guilty. Picard: Guilty of what? Q:Of being inferior.

03 Mar 2005, 12:00

Well i'm fine doing the textual stuff, and i'm pretty sure OmniQ will be happy to help as well.

jigalypuff and SMIFFGIG seem happy doing the graphics side of things, and your interfaces look cool, iwulff.

There are bound to be other people that can help as well. Perhaps we need to set up an actual thread where people can list the things they are happy to help with/skills they may be able to offer?

03 Mar 2005, 12:16
Profile WWW
Crewman

well pokemon boy said that you cannot see cloaked ships until they decloak.. so.. AWSOME.!!!...

2ndly.. can i do something ??? i have no talents whatsoever..or skills.. but id like to help somehow...

03 Mar 2005, 22:10

Let gavin, jigaly, or iwulff know what sort of stuff you would like to help with. They may have some ideas of how you can help.

Careful of the name, ragez0r, jigalypuff has been known to exact swift revenge on people before. You don't want to be calling him a big, pink balloon or anything :lol:

04 Mar 2005, 00:05
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

In the words of Son Of Mogh:

"I sence an avatar change comming up"

04 Mar 2005, 13:05
Crewman

lollolollololololllol
good 1

hey i didnt pick his nickname for him

07 Mar 2005, 03:27
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

ragez0r wrote:
hey i didnt pick his nickname for him

For Son of Mogh? Well, try if it makes you happy... :lol: :wink:

07 Mar 2005, 15:38
Crewman

no.. jigalypuff

anyhow.. another idea... for 3d combat
there should be 2 retreat options 1. retreat and 2. retreat while firing

also another option should be "in system warp" .. like kira did in the bajor system with the defiant... to get closer to the enemy.. BUT.. if you miscalculate.. you risk crashing into your enemys or something else ???
OR you end up too far

good idea or not ?

08 Mar 2005, 05:50
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

:roll: I'm thinking...

I like it! :D But, I don't know why you'd use it exactly... You risk collision, rather then just waiting a turn or 2 to get within good range...

Am I missing something, ragez0r? What would you have this do?

08 Mar 2005, 11:27

I think he's thinking of the Picard maneouver! :D (Which me like)

08 Mar 2005, 15:38
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Well, a whole fleet doing a Picard manuevar... :lol:
Wouldn't exacltly be sound tactical judgement of a Star Fleet admiral!

Hey, wait! Admirals won't be playing this game, I WILL!
GIVE ME THE MANOUEVAR! :lol: :D :lol:

08 Mar 2005, 21:32
Ensign
Ensign

I have a question/possible suggestion...

Will shipyards be represented in the game in space? In BoTF I, my favorite strategy was to get a few destroyers and capital ships into a major enemy shipbuilding system and wait for them to build a ship and then make it die. The trouble was, after a while they would set their default order to "Avoid" and were able to escape. :cry:

My question: It is logical to assume that a shipyard is in space somewhere in the system. (Trek ships usually aren't built on the ground). Will an attacker be able to a) stake out your shipyard and kill ships as you build them (which is a logical strategy if you can pull it off - it's also great for killing enemy morale), or b) will you be able to destroy a shipyard in tactical combat (ie, without having to bombard the planet from orbit and hope you get lucky) Both of these would be logical additions to combat (as well as an option to intercept ships outside of your territory - follow them until you catch them - but that's another issue). What do you think?

10 Mar 2005, 07:03

Well the orbital batteries will be in during space battles. They will be actually visible on-screen, and they really will fire at you/your enemies!

The tactical area is gonna be somewhere around 3 times as big as it was, so I don't think the programmers will be pushed to fit it in...but we'll have to wait and see.

I certainly would like for the shipyards to be in though, if possible. :twisted:

10 Mar 2005, 12:12
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Matress_of_evil wrote:
Well the orbital batteries will be in during space battles. They will be actually visible on-screen, and they really will fire at you/your enemies!

Well, I already knew this, but :D :D :D YAAAAAY! (:oops:)

"The Romulan armada is aproaching Mars, admiral"
"Activate the Mars Defence Perimiter"
"Oh, and this time don't send in just 3 blody fighters!" :lol:

10 Mar 2005, 19:35
Crewman

CVN: what would in systems warp do ? well i read somewhere that battles will start far far away.....so.. why not be able to warp in at the risk of getting blown up and fight sooner.. or get a better chance and apear behind them (for cloaked ships.. this is a huge advantage) also.. even if a tiny scout ship where to warp thru lets say a marauder.. it would have to be destroyed.. not lik RAM where itll only cripple it.. so theres some kamikaze option there if u WANT to warp into another ship

Matress_of_evilL: refresh my memory, whats the picard maneuver ?

jarok: can the player also make his ships on "avoid" default ??? that would handy...

ooh.. that is so cooll.. "starbase to planet, SEND ALL THE ORBITL DURACELL BATERIES... hehehe..hihihi..hohoh HAHAHAHAH.. die they must die.. the klingons must die.. DIE THEY MUST DIE THE KLINGONS MUST DIE"
(corky and the juice pigs song...about dolphins tho.. not klingons, that was MY improvisation)

10 Mar 2005, 22:30
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Picard manuevar:

You go faster than light (=, or above Warp 1), so their sublight sensors can't track you. Show up in front of the enemy, who are confused as hell, and take 'em out... :wink:

10 Mar 2005, 22:55
Crewman

k.. well that should be added to the game

i thought the picard maneuver was that picard went on screen with his pants down mooning the other ship and while they take their hands off the controls to sheild their eyes, the enterprise fires 50 torpedos

25 Mar 2005, 07:22

Sounds mor like the Venus maneuver, or the Troi tactic or something...:wink: :lol:

Na, CVN is right. It's called the Picard Maneuver, coz Picard did it against a Ferengi Marauder at the battle of Zeta Maxia, while he was in command of the Stargazer. (Only coz the Command staff had died during the Marauder's attack)

In the end, he did lose the Stargazer, but he took the Marauder with it...:twisted: (If I go down, i'm taking you with me!) :twisted:

I've got a trek magazine that explains it in full actually. It's rather in depth - you've got to have really good timing, otherwise it will go wrong.

If it works though, it makes the enemy think there are two of you, confusing the hell out of them, and giving you time to strike...just like CVN said...course my ships are better equipped than pathetic Ferengi Marauders, so ther isn't any chance of it working against me...:twisted:

25 Mar 2005, 14:26
Profile WWW
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

The Picard Maeuver would be completely useless against any ship with FTL sensors, you'd just ending changing position and looking really stupid.

The way it works in a nutshell...

*Your enemy's sensors are relaying information to them slower than the speed of light.
*This means that the image of you on their screen is a few seconds old, depending on your distance.
*You jump into warp and move much closer to your opponent.
*Their sensors are now showing the old image of you far away (because your image takes time to reach them). AND an image of you much closer (becaure the image has less distance to travel).
*They see 2 of you and panic, you blow the sh*t out of them.

25 Mar 2005, 19:08
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

SonOfMogh wrote:
*Your enemy's sensors are relaying information to them slower than the speed of light.
*This means that the image of you on their screen is a few seconds old, depending on your distance.
*Their sensors are now showing the old image of you far away (because your image takes time to reach them). AND an image of you much closer (becaure the image has less distance to travel).
*They see 2 of you and panic, you blow the sh*t out of them.

Here is how it works when fighting a real ship (a modern Romulan, say)
*Your enemy's sensors are relaying information to them faster than the speed of light
*This means that the image of you on their screen is not few seconds old, not depended on your distance
*Their sensors are now showing the current image of you very, very close (because your image takes almost NO time to reach them).
*They see one of you and fire, they blow the **** out of you

So, yes a bit pointles :wink:

Last edited by CVN-65 on 25 Mar 2005, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

25 Mar 2005, 20:00
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Exactly. Obviously there's no need for it in the game, given that it wouldn't serve much of a purpose. If I were a SF Captain, I'd use it against people like Talarians.

25 Mar 2005, 20:22
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

SonOfMogh wrote:
Exactly. Obviously there's no need for it in the game, given that it wouldn't serve much of a purpose. If I were a SF Captain, I'd use it against people like Talarians.

Although, the Manuevar DOES make sence; to some point.
Cirra 2330 (when Picard is on Stargazer) Ferengi still use slower than light sensors. Say they have outdated tech and better sensors were available since 2300.
Enterprise is 2150 (the year in which BotFII will start), so a 150 year span of this game is covered by a technology vounrable to the the Manuevar. :roll:
But if it was used all the time (as is suggested here) it is logical to assume some defence would be developed from it in a reasonable amout of time :wink:

25 Mar 2005, 21:05
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

I guess everyone's sensors would be slower than light up until probably the movies era at the earliest. Still, I'd imagine it would take up until then for warp drives to be advanced and high performance enough to do such a precise warp jump. I'd say the Stargazer was just at the right time.

25 Mar 2005, 22:18
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Guess so. FTL sensors probably developed when the need for them became too great to delay.

Do you know, btw, what the Constalation was in it's time? Compared to late 24th cent. Something like a Nebula or an Akira equivalent...?
I can't quite place the ship in my mind, so I ask

25 Mar 2005, 22:22
Reply to topic   [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 12  Next